Remote Desktop Install Stalled...

PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hello all.

This an "emergency" primarily because it is time sensitive.

I remoted into two computers (on the same LAN) to install some updates, etc. at 6 this morning. I use pcAnywhere to access their computers.

Sometimes they have to switch to using the building broadband Internet connection when their DSL service goes out. At those times, I can't get to a public IP to get to them. The provider won't give them a public IP or do any port forwarding for them.

So,...... I am trying to install the Windows Remote Desktop update on their computers. Both the computers have been stalled at the remote desktop install for hours. (Other updates installed fine on both computers b4 the update process got to the remote desktop install.) It finally occurred to me that having pcAnywhere running might be the cause. 1st I tried logging out for half an hour but when I remoted back in, they were still both stalled on the remote desktop install.

So, I disconnected w/ no option to reconnect. This should have turned off the pcAnywhere host.

I'm on the phone w/ the user right now...it's still hung up. (10am PST)

I'd be greatful for any feedback on this issue
More importantly on whether you think I can interrupt this installation w/out fouling everything up.

TIA!

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Well here's an update. I ended up having to cancel Windows Update on both computers. Even so, it still wouldn't close out. I had to kill Windows Update on both computers via Task Manager. I was sweatin' bullets on that one but after a reboot, both computers seem to be behaving. There's a video drivers update issue on one but I'll start a new thread on that one.

I'm still open to any ideas anyone might have re: why the Remote Desktop update might have hung up. I'm going to be remoting back in there tonite.

TIA!
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    I've never tried Remote Desktop before, but if you continue to have problems you could try Real VNC. I've used this app to manage my folding rigs across my home network.

Honest this isn't one of those "I have a prob. with IE" - "you should have used FF" answers.

Re-reading a little, Is it possible one of the updates was for Remote Desktop and it couldn't install (but tried anyway) because it was in use?
    edited February 2007
    Donut wrote:
    ...I've never tried Remote Desktop before, but if you continue to have problems you could try Real VNC. I've used this app to manage my folding rigs across my home network...Honest this isn't one of those "I have a prob. with IE" - "you should have used FF" answers...
    Thank heavens for that! :rolleyes2 :wink:
    Donut wrote:
    ...Re-reading a little, Is it possible one of the updates was for Remote Desktop and it couldn't install (but tried anyway) because it was in use?
    Well that's sort of what I was thinking at the time. Because I was installing the update while I was connected to the computer remotely via another remote utility, I thought perhaps that might be the issue. When that finally occured to me, I shut down pcAnywhere completely. When my clients came in some time later, they said it was still hung up. So, unless it was conflicting w/ the pcAnywhere host service, I don't believe that was the problem.

The wierd thing is that when I checked later, I found that the Remote Desktop update had installed afterall - on both computers. The best I can figure is it got hung up when closing itself out and caused Windows Update to hang. I was able to install the remaining updates w/ no problem.

Re: VNC, it's a handy and free little utility. I just don't use it out of concern for security issues (across the Internet). I think I'd still need a public IP for that one, though, yes? If not, it's certainly a viable short term solution.

Thanx Donut!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    VNC is fine across the internet if you use VPN. Don't tell me you're connecting to machines across the internet without using VPN!

My preference is DameWare, as it pushes the client instead of having to install it on every PC manually.
    edited February 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    ...VNC is fine across the internet if you use VPN. Don't tell me you're connecting to machines across the internet without using VPN!...My preference is DameWare, as it pushes the client instead of having to install it on every PC manually...
    Well, pretty much anything is fine across the 'net if you use VPN, right? :smiles:

What do you suggest if the user does not support VPN? :confused:

Thankyou for the DameWare link, Kwitko. I'll definetly check that out! :smiles:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    You can tunnel through SSH. Found this link: http://www.engr.wisc.edu/computing/best/rdesktop-putty.html

There are also a few remote programs that have secure tunneling built in, although I'm not sure if they use SSH or some other encryption.
    edited February 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    You can tunnel through SSH. Found this link: http://www.engr.wisc.edu/computing/best/rdesktop-putty.html

There are also a few remote programs that have secure tunneling built in, although I'm not sure if they use SSH or some other encryption.
    That's great Kwitko. I'll definetly check that out. Thankyou!! :bigggrin:
    edited February 2007
    Kwitko wrote:

OMG! I totally forgot! I subscribe to FindNot.com VPN service. Would that work, Kwitko? Or is FindNot not VPN in the sense that we're talkin' about?

EDIT://
    One of the features FindNot offers is SSH Tunnel Proxy (which, just as you said uses Putty). When I use this option, I have to configure the application I'd like to use over the Internet w/ the proxy information. All other Internet traffic (via applications for which the FindNot Proxy Server configuration has not been set up) is passed outside the tunnel.

The other option is FindNot VPN. This feature routes all internet traffic through FindNot VPN, regardless of the application.