PP5WD2 premium keeps rebooting

edited February 2007 in Hardware
OK where do i start hmmm well i was on my pc when it locked up so i rebooted and the same again so went into safe mode went in fine .

Then i tried to boot back into normal windows but it gets as far as the first windows screen hangs there till i turn it off .

So i think ah il reinstall windows BIG MISTAKE !!!!

Now it just keeps rebooting wont install windows thinks my HDD are cd drives and my CD drives are hard drives.

Ive been tols to reset the cmos jumper but i dont know where it is or what it looks like or i would do it .

can some here tell where it is so i can try it to see if it fixes the problem

many thanks

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    The problem you are describing sound like symptoms of one of the following:

1) motherboard component(s) overheating
    2) CPU overheating
    3) power supply unit (PSU) output problem

Before we begin troubleshooting, please list your computer's specifications, to include:

CPU and heatsink
    PSU brand, model, output wattage
    physical memory number of modules, MB each, brand, speed

When was the last time you cleaned dust and lint out of the case and off the motherboard components?

Are you running any temperature and voltages monitoring software? If you are, the readouts from that could be very useful.

BTW, I happen to be a big P5W fan. Look at my signature!
  • edited February 2007
    Asus P5WD2 Premium / Intel 3.0 Ghz Socket 775 LGA / / 2 X maxtor diamondmax 10 / ATI X1900GT / 2 GB Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12.
    / Gigabyte Rocket Pro Heatsink /

cleaned it out bout a month ago

not too sure about voltages but its running standard as i do not overclock

the psu is a colorsit 480 watt not sure about the voltages on it as i cant find anything on the net
    edited February 2007
    What memory and PSU do you have installed. This could be an overheating, memory, or PSU problem.

OOPS, sorry, just noticed you listed memory. But need to know about the PSU. The label on the side lists the output voltages.
  • edited February 2007
    the psu is a colorsit 480 watt not sure about the voltages on it as i cant find anything on the net

4 x Corsair 512 DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX

+3.3v +5v +12v -5v -12v +5vsb

28A 35A 25A 0.5A 0.8A 2.5A
    edited February 2007
    Let's try three things in this order:

1. Reset the BIOS (CMOS). Do you have your motherboard manual? If not, got to Asus site and download the manual for P5WD2 Premium. It will show where the CMOS jumper is. With the power turned off and the PSU unplugged from the wall, remove the CMOS jumper, wait 30 seconds and replace. This will reset the CMOS. When you start to reboot, after the black screen with text shows up on the screen, tap the 'delete' key. This will take you into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, navigate to the "Exit" menu. Select "Load Setup Defaults", select F10 to save the settings, OK to reboot.

If that doesn't work, then our next focus area will be RAM or PSU.
  • edited February 2007
    ok i found it done il let u know
  • edited February 2007
    ok i cleared the cmos and ran kill disk to wipe the hard drives it ran for around an hour then i rebooted the machine put in my windows xp disk it started to load windows got to the s on installing devices then rebotted and started all over again so i have no idea whats wrong with it .
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    sacred wrote:
    ok i cleared the cmos and ran kill disk to wipe the hard drives it ran for around an hour then i rebooted the machine put in my windows xp disk it started to load windows got to the s on installing devices then rebotted and started all over again so i have no idea whats wrong with it .
    Hi Sacred
    It's been a couple of days. Are you still working on this problem or has it been resolved?
  • edited February 2007
    should be fixed i sent it to my local pc shop as i had no more replys so hopefully they will fix it
    edited February 2007
    Sorry you had to send it out. Please let us know what the solution was when you get it back.
    edited February 2007
    sacred wrote:
    should be fixed i sent it to my local pc shop as i had no more replys so hopefully they will fix it
    I'm sorry, too that you had to send it out, sacred. In the future, if you haven't had a reply to your post, enter a new post in the thread w/ "bump" typed in it. You don't need to enter anything else. This will put the thread at the top of the heap again. It will also alert those viewing the thread that it needs attention.

We're pretty good about attending to threads. Once in a while, however, one will fall through the cracks. In those times, just give us a nudge. :smiles:
  • edited February 2007
    i wouldbe interested as to why you think it was the psu as after sometime i began to think the same thing .
    edited February 2007
    sacred wrote:
    i wouldbe interested as to why you think it was the psu as after sometime i began to think the same thing .
    He'd indicated RAM and PSU. The reason is both of these devices, if not working correctly, can cause all manner of other-wise unexplainable problems. It's also a matter of deductive reasoning. Much about troubleshooting computers is about ruling things out (while applying ones knowledge and experience about how the devices play a part in your computer's functioning, of course). :smiles:
    edited February 2007
    To rephrase what Ptero wrote, malfunctioning power supplies and faulty physical memory can cause unexpected reboots. Often, if the RAM is bad, there will be a 'blue screen' first. With PSUs, you can just get abrupt shutdowns and/or restarts, or failure to boot completely.
    edited February 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    To rephrase what Ptero wrote, malfunctioning power supplies and faulty physical memory can cause unexpected reboots. Often, if the RAM is bad, there will be a 'blue screen' first. With PSUs, you can just get abrupt shutdowns and/or restarts, or failure to boot completely.
    Yeahhhhh..... That's it.... what he said, sacred... :wink:
  • edited February 2007
    thanks guys for your help but today i had a phone call from the shop saying that the board was infact to blame .

a screw had fallen down the back of the board causing it to short curcuit so looks like im upgrading my mobo early :P
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear about that. I hadn't considered a motherboard short as being a possibility, but that's certainly logical. It could indeed show the same symptoms as a failing power supply. Have you selected a new motherboard yet. If you'd like recommendations, let us know what your goals are for your computer for the next year or two and we'll help steer you.
  • edited February 2007
    ye i have but i cant for the life of me remember the model number lol but its an sli one that supports core2
  • edited February 2007
    ok problem fixed i hope the engineer who looked at my pc seems to think it was the psu after all as well as one of the mountings for the mobo causing possible shorting .

my new board is a P5N-E SLI