Which airport to fly into?

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited June 2007 in Community
I'm guessing that the Detroit airport (DET) would be the closest. I just started looking up plane tickets at Orbitz, gonna look around at others to.

So far the only problem is figuring out where my second stop is going to be from NC.. I can stop at Georgia..Charlotte...or Philadelphia. I have been to the first two, never been to Philly though, I might get those tickets, lol.

I'm trying to talk my best friend who went with me to the '04 lan to go to, that is gonna be a fun flight :)

If there is another airport that I can fly into that is closer let me know so I can get the tickets going.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    no! do not fly into DET! That is a ****hole in the middle of the serious ghetto.

DTW is where you want to fly!
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited February 2007
    Glad you said something, lol. I'll check out the tickets flying into DTW.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    My advice is not to fly into any airport. It would hurt too much! :p
    edited February 2007
    rolf, that was a good laugh for the morning Mt Goat, hehe.
    edited February 2007
    Looks like the tickets cost about the same flying into DTW, so I guess you don't pay more for using DET and the possibility of getting mugged :) I guess not to bad for $242 for round trip.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like a decent round trip cost, Clutch. I'll probably spend 1/2 that much on gas driving my caddy to the Lan and back.

I'm flying to Pittsburgh from Missouri and the cost is almost $600 and that's not even a direct flight. Glad I'm not paying for it. :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    reminder bump. :)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I just want to mention that I saw this little beauty of a ranking list today. Guess which airport ranks as the most miserable?

Dammit, Prime!
    edited June 2007
    Oh come now, it's only ONE misery index point higher than Chicago O'Hare!

*the misery index point is a highly scientific number derived from a combination of esoteric and hard-to-understand factors
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I don't know where that misery index comes from, but the first time I've taken an airliner in the recent 15 years of my life was at DTW's newest terminal. It was quick, professional, and I really enjoyed looking around and experiencing the terminal's offerings. Very clean and pretty.
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, DTW's McNamara Terminal is actually very swank.

Smith terminal, on the other hand..... :eek3:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Smith is just so... 1970s.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    hmm what airlines fly into the McNamara Terminal?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    hmm what airlines fly into the McNamara Terminal?
    Continental, Delta, Northwest for domestic it looks like.

American, Southwest, United, US Airways... all use Smith:

http://www.metroairport.com/site/popup.asp?img=AirlineGateMap_lg.gif&wd=1440&ht=787
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    w00t! I'm flying Delta!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Well, it looks like I know what gate I'll be arriving at... considering AirTran has exactly one gate at the entire airport... at Smith Terminal. :(
    edited June 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    .. at Smith Terminal. :(
    /me reaches up and give the disco ball a spin
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I can confirm the crappiness of Houston Intercontinental airport. Even the mention of a drizzle and flights are delayed for almost 12 hours.

So how sucky is the Smith terminal compared to the McNamara? I was used to the McNamara terminal the last times but Spirit arrives at the Smith terminal. :(
    edited June 2007
    It isn't THAT bad... it's still clean and maintained well... and you just have to WALK through it, not live there :p My goodness...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    If the terminal is as long as McNamara, I may somehow lose those 30lbs for the weight loss thread.
    edited June 2007
    Smith is not nearly as big as McNamara. No indoor train system ;D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'll be arriving in Smith terminal. Word is you can get jacked by crack addicts in Smith. AK-47 rentals are available for a nominal fee for deplaning passengers.
    edited June 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    AK-47 rentals are available for a nominal fee for deplaning passengers.
    I never learned about that part of the 70s :eek3:
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Word is you can get jacked by crack addicts in Smith.

Keebler (or whoever comes and gets me), I'm expecting my pick-up to be prompt, dammit! No losing me to crack addicts in the airport :( It would be a great loss to humanity.