Best 939 CPU available?

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hello all. While I am enjoying my upgraded rig (AMD64 3500 on a AN8 motherboard) I am trying to get an even better CPU for it.

This particular beast caught my eye:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103045

Is this the best bang for the buck 939 CPU that I could get? The FX series are quite costly and not dual core.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    panzerkw wrote:
    Hello all. While I am enjoying my upgraded rig (AMD64 3500 on a AN8 motherboard) I am trying to get an even better CPU for it.

This particular beast caught my eye:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103045

Is this the best bang for the buck 939 CPU that I could get? The FX series are quite costly and not dual core.

If your ABIT AN8 is capable of running above 300FSB or around, then the best CPU is Opteron 165 for the price (it is around $155 nowadays). I have two of them, one of them is running at 2.8 GHZ at default vcore (i.e. identical to FX62), the other is at 2.6 GHz with only +0.5V above default vcore (i.e. identical to FX60). ABIT AN8, I think, should be able to run at or above 300 FSB. At least, my MSI K8N with NF4-Ultra can do it. You can keep your memory running at or close to its specs while overclocking Opteron 165, if they can not run faster than DDR400.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited February 2007
    Unfortunately the 165 Opteron is out of stock at newegg. How about the 175?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584

I already run at 400FSB on my 3500 (I think...I'll double check when I get home tonight) EDIT: Don't I need special memory to run Opterons?
  • edited February 2007
    Opteron 175 does not overclock much higher than 165. $70 price difference is not justified in my opinion. No, you do not need any special memory for Opteron 165 or 175. Just DDR400, the faster the better.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    The Opty 165 or the 4800+ will be the best you can get, if you can find them still :)
    edited February 2007
    I neglected to mention that I use my computer 99% for GAMING!! Would a dual core make much of a difference?

How much of an improvement would I see over a 3500 with the Opty 165 in gaming? I'm also not too comfortable with overclocking, for me $70 more for a higher stock isn't that big of a deal.
  • edited February 2007
    panzerkw wrote:
    I neglected to mention that I use my computer 99% for GAMING!! Would a dual core make much of a difference?

How much of an improvement would I see over a 3500 with the Opty 165 in gaming? I'm also not too comfortable with overclocking, for me $70 more for a higher stock isn't that big of a deal.

If you are not going to overclock, I agree that A64-X2-4400+ in your first post looks really good for the price. It is actually the same core with Opteron 175 (Denmark is the same as Toledo) at the same frequency. I would say, go with it. You know, you can still overclock that processor, why not?

Dual core does not make a drastic difference in most of the games for now, but new games already started to take advantage of the multiple cores. Whether the games support multiple core or not the computer runs much better. The background tasks do not interfere with your games with dual-core.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Albaro, I have some really nice ram that will work well for that cpu for sale:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53613
    edited February 2007
    Heya Prime, thanks for the offer, but I already have 2GB of DDR RAM.

The Toledo processor looks pretty much the same as the 175, the main difference being that the HT is 2000 on the Toledo but 1000 on the 175. Does that make much a difference?

The Toledo does not come with a HSF, either. What'd be a good match HSF for it?
  • edited February 2007
    panzerkw wrote:
    The Toledo does not come with a HSF, either. What'd be a good match HSF for it?

The stock 4-pipe heatsinks of A64 are very good, you can find them cheap at ebay. There are two kinds: one of them is with 70mm fan, the other is with 80mm. Funny, but the heatsink with 70mm fan is better, I tried both of them. For overclocking, I can recommend Thermaltake Big Typhoon.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'd like to affirm what was posted above:

Whether dual core will benefit gaming or not, you should move away from single core. Dual core is a major, major evolutionary tech step that you will definitely be noticeable. Use dual core, and you'll never want a single core chip again.
    edited February 2007
    mirage wrote: »
    The stock 4-pipe heatsinks of A64 are very good, you can find them cheap at ebay. There are two kinds: one of them is with 70mm fan, the other is with 80mm. Funny, but the heatsink with 70mm fan is better, I tried both of them. For overclocking, I can recommend Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

I found this one here:

http://item.express.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-64-Heatsink-Fan-4-Copper-Heat-Pipe_W0QQitemZ200068043118QQihZ010QQtrZexpQQcmdZExpressItem

Good deal?

Any major difference between 1000 (Opty 175) and 2000 (Toledo 4400)hypertransport speeds?
  • edited February 2007
    panzerkw wrote: »
    I found this one here:

http://item.express.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-64-Heatsink-Fan-4-Copper-Heat-Pipe_W0QQitemZ200068043118QQihZ010QQtrZexpQQcmdZExpressItem

Good deal?

Any major difference between 1000 (Opty 175) and 2000 (Toledo 4400)hypertransport speeds?

Well, the price is normal for quad-pipe 70mm :), I mean not a bad deal. You do not need to restrict yourself with the original cooler though. And, you can also consider Opteron 165 or Opteron 170 they come with either one of the quad-pipe coolers and you can easily overclock to 2.2 most probably at default vcore (I just checked they are available at Newegg). If you still want to buy the OEM processor, the other 80mm fan should be a little cheaper and still will be sufficient for you with a mild overclock without voltage increase.

The following three look like good budget coolers to me, just to give an idea.

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro

Scythe SCSMZ-1100 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
    GIGABYTE GH-PDU22-SC EVR Sleeve CPU Cooler

Regarding 2000 vs 1000 HT, those are same. 1000 HT is bidirectional transfer and sometimes it is referred as 2000, that is all.

PS: I removed my offer since you can buy the other 80mm kind cheaper at ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Original-AMD-Opteron-Heatsink-Fan-Socket-939_W0QQitemZ150088033641QQihZ005QQcategoryZ42001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    PS: Ooops, this ebay heatsink is not the 80mm quad-pipe version, it has two-pipes. I can send you mine (unused, with the original paste) for $20 shipped to NYC, if you do not prefer one of the above heatsinks. Send me a PM if you want it.
    edited February 2007
    Opteron 165 is back in stock! So I'll be ordering one tomorrow morning. You would say it's a simple matter to overclock it to 2.2 GHz (175 stock speed) with the stock HSF?

My system setup now has it running at 200 FSB. I think I have OCZ RAM on there now running at 2-2-2-5 timings DDR400
  • edited February 2007
    Opteron 165 is back in stock! So I'll be ordering one tomorrow morning. You would say it's a simple matter to overclock it to 2.2 GHz (175 stock speed) with the stock HSF?

My system setup now has it running at 200 FSB. I think I have OCZ RAM on there now running at 2-2-2-5 timings DDR400

To a friend, I would say 2.2 GHz for Opteron 165 should be piece of cake. To my boss, I would say overclocking is not recommended and never guaranteed. :cool: Your OCZ memory looks overclockable too while scaling the timings back to 3-3-3-7 or even 3-4-4-8. I can help you when you want to overclock that Opty-165. Good luck!
    edited February 2007
    I log into newegg at 6:30AM eastern time, and the damn 165 is out of stock again. F'in hell. Ordered the 175 and we'll see how it goes.
  • edited February 2007
    I log into newegg at 6:30AM eastern time, and the damn 165 is out of stock again. F'in hell. Ordered the 175 and we'll see how it goes.

But it is available now :confused:
    edited February 2007
    I see that, but it's 11:00AM Eastern time and Newegg has already shipped my order! Too late to change it!

LOL! :cool2:
  • edited February 2007
    I see that, but it's 11:00AM Eastern time and Newegg has already shipped my order! Too late to change it!

LOL! :cool2:

I thinks that is okay. First you were not interested in overclocking, so here it is 2.2 GHz as you wanted. Second, the OEM processor did not have a cooler, this ones comes with one. Third, this is retail package, you have full manufacturers warranty. You see life is good depending on the way you look at it.

Cheers!:)
    edited February 2007
    What would be the P-rating for the Opty 175, 4400?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    I would say yes. Both with 2.2ghz, dual 1mb cache. Not sure about the cores (Denmark vs. Toledo)
  • edited February 2007
    What would be the P-rating for the Opty 175, 4400?

Performance wise Opty175 and X2 4400(Toledo) are identical. But Opterons are supposedly tested more rigorously than Athlons since they are targeted for servers. So, you can check the performance of Athlon X2 4400+ at the following link to compare with other processors.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=478&model2=433&chart=178
    edited February 2007
    The Opteron 175 is installed and working as it should so far. I'm going to let it burn in for a few days and then try and see what I can do with the OC.