A Better CPU?

T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hello, all, just being curious here.
Im thinking of dropping another proc in my main s939 board and was wondering if I may run into any known problems.
I want to go from A64 X2 3800 @ 2.55GHz to Opteron 180. My MoBo is
ASUS A8NE Bios 1010. Single graphics is fine for me (GeForce 7600GT @ 610/814) Im not a huge gamer but I do play, (now playing RB6: Vegas). The boar is not too old to me and am wondering if I can squeeze a bit more from her before the Big Upgrade around AMD Quad Core. These are just thoughts for now.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    T-LAM-C wrote:
    Hello, all, just being curious here.
    Im thinking of dropping another proc in my main s939 board and was wondering if I may run into any known problems.
    I want to go from A64 X2 3800 @ 2.55GHz to Opteron 180. My MoBo is
    ASUS A8NE Bios 1010. Single graphics is fine for me (GeForce 7600GT @ 610/814) Im not a huge gamer but I do play, (now playing RB6: Vegas). The boar is not too old to me and am wondering if I can squeeze a bit more from her before the Big Upgrade around AMD Quad Core. These are just thoughts for now.

If you have the x2-3800+ running fine at 2.55, do not bother upgrading to any other socket 939 processor. You are within 15% range of the highest performance you can get from socket 939. I recommend save your money for a complete upgrade that will increase your performance more than 50-60%.
  • T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
    edited February 2007
    Thanx, mirage, I really have been pondering this one. The upgrade bug seems to bite at intervals but I think I need to be patient and do something major and fire for effect.
  • edited February 2007
    T-LAM-C wrote: »
    Thanx, mirage, I really have been pondering this one. The upgrade bug seems to bite at intervals but I think I need to be patient and do something major and fire for effect.

Yeah, I exactly know what you mean:bigggrin:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I really have been pondering this one. The upgrade bug seems to bite at intervals
    Don't think you are alone with that feeling! I'm pretty sure that bug bites many of us here!