F@H With out login on

BlueDragonBlueDragon Longwood, FL USA New
edited February 2007 in Folding@Home
how do I set up my F@H Software to still run without logining into my computer. my fiances little bro will be stoping by for weekends and i dont want to leave my desktop up but everytime i log out and leave the pc on it still stops folding. is there anyway to fix that?

also i am currently shut down at the moment because red will not find the instal disk so that i can install his cable thing so i can get online my WU is finined but i cant get online to turn it in. and i had a problem with my laptop this week too. I left the charger at school so i could not fold on there either how ever i was lucky that my chager was right where i left it at so i will not have that problem this week.

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    BlueDragon wrote: »
    how do I set up my F@H Software to still run without logining into my computer.

Have it start as a service when the machine starts up.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    To run as a service, start the F@H from the command prompt with the -service flag. Reboot your PC. When you log in, bring up the task manager to make sure it's running.
  • BlueDragonBlueDragon Longwood, FL USA New
    edited February 2007
    hey guys thanks for the input and i understand to a point what you mean however i am not on the geek squad like dogdragon so can explain it in a way that even a moron can understand?

after all i just found out what wifi and blue tooth was all about less then 8 months ago.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    What version of FAH are you running? Is it the graphical one, or the console?
    edited February 2007
    i think it is graphic one because i can see the cells folding
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    BlueDragon wrote: »
    i am not on the geek squad like dogdragon so can explain it in a way that even a moron can understand?

ME? geek, No just know more the you Blue.
    Sorry, I can speak moron. Guess it from dealing with you :D
    Also nope Joey tells me what to do with services
    But it's in your control panel in in the administrative tools
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Hey Kwitko
    Can you tell blue how to type it in with command prompt
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    No problem. First is to download the console version of F@H. Save it to a folder, something like C:\FAH.

Next, Start > Run, type in cmd and hit enter. Type in C:\FAH (or the name of the folder where you saved it) and hit enter. Type in FAH504-Console.exe -service and hit enter.

Enter your folding name and team 93 when asked for the username and team. Somewhere in there it will ask if you want to run F@H as a service. Answer, of course, yes. The rest of the settings should be okay as their default.

Once F@H is set up, hit CTRL-C to end the console. Reboot your PC. To double-check that F@H is running as a service, go to Start > Run and type in services.msc and hit enter.

Scroll down the list of services and you should see something that looks like:
    FAH@C+FAH+FAH504-Console.exe

Its status should be Started and its startup type should be Automatic. Also, if you go into the task manager, you should see FAH504-Console.exe in the running processes.
    edited February 2007
    thanks kwitko
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Make sure the graphical version is disabled. You don't want to have two versions of FAH running at the same time. :)