Need a northbridge fan for an NF-7 MB

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
My main computer runs an Abit NF-7 motherboard and it has done extremely well for me for almost 3 years now. A few months ago I got another NF-7 off of eBay, and it's in a computer case with a 3 GB hard drive and Windows 2000, doing folding for me and other random things.

Ever since I got it, the northbridge fan has made noise, like the bearings are shot. In the past month it has gotten worse. It usually quiets down after 10 minutes or so, but it shouldn't be there at all.

So where can I get a replacement fan for the northbridge cooler on this NF-7?:confused:

Comments

• Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited February 2007
    Good thing is you have options. Check out this link. (Sorry for the length).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010110572+1374126194&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=572

The Thermaltake CL-C0034 supposedly will fit any mainboard and note that it was the only one I looked at.
    Also they are selling the Scythe SY124010L Fans which should fit your current northbridge heatsink but then again I could be wrong. Go through the list and see what best suits you. If you don't like the choices I'm sure there has to be someone here that has that mainboard just sitting around looking for a new home.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Tim, I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm using ancient Abit KT series NB fans on my Asus boards. These boards came with very nice passive NB coolers, but were just not adequate for 1000MHz overclocks! Yeah, what I was saying is that the failing NB fan is well known to me. The Abit 40mm fans never lasted very long. Have you tried oiling them? One side of the fan will have a small hole, usually under the label. Put in a drop or two of light machine oil or "3-In-1" brand oil and it'll do the trick. That can buy you anywhere from six months to three years more life out of the fan. No kidding. If that doesn't work, just do an Internet search for 40mm fans. (I think 40mm is the size of most fans on NBs.) Sometimes you can get a whole NB sink/fan unit for the price of a fan, as Bad_Karma linked.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Tim, my NF-7's NB fan just failed at the beginning of Fall semester and I replaced it with the second item linked in Karma's post, the ZALMAN ZM-NB47J Aluminum Heatsinks listed there.

It works like a charm, and I would recommend it.