Random computer crashes

Trance-Lord-SnyderTrance-Lord-Snyder Eastern PA Member
edited June 2007 in Hardware
This problem has been happening for over a month now. I built a budget gaming PC for my sister and it worked fine while I had it for the week I built and tested it. It started crashing after she had it for no reason apparent to me. It seems to crash most when she plays The Sims 2. (thats the only game on the PC) It does crash at other times, but the biggest problem seems to be around running the game. Sometimes TS2 will crash to the desktop, but the computer is otherwise ok. At other times it BSODs and reboots.

Hardware:

AMD Athlon 3500+
Corsair XMS 3200+
BIOSTAR TForce 6100-939
ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/256M
WD Caviar SATA HDD
DVD Burner

To test it I've...

Underclocked and increased voltages.
Reset and installed a new BIOS
Removed and reinstalled motherboard and video drivers
Run Mem Test 86 and passed flawlessly
Checked and monitored temps in bios and in windows (all normal)
Visually checked components in the system, especially capacitors.
Ran stress tests such as Prime 95 and had no "luck" causing the computer to crash.
Ran spyware and virus scans with clean results.
Tried the rustock b finder I found from the forum and had clean results.

I bought an Antec Power Supply tester, tested the power supply, supposedly it was bad, installed a different power supply which tested as good. Both are cheap power supplies, however, all voltages with both were within normal ranges. Crashing still persists.

I'm running out of ideas and I can't seem to find what the problem is.

The processor and memory was from my own computer which I was using right before I built the PC. Both were working perfectly fine. Same with the first power supply that was in the PC.

The PC is not sharing a power outlet with any other major appliances.

error codes from BSODs:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFF3, 0x00000001, 0xBFAEACFO, 0x00000000)
along with that stop was...
nv4_disp.dll - address BFAEACFO base at BF9D4000, DateStamp 453bdc7a

Another crash provided the stop:
0x0000000A (0x00000060, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804E6BBA)

And yet another stop:
0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xE45384C0, 0xB77E97FC, 0x00000000)

Once when the computer booted windows provided this error code:
BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 0000008F BCP2 : 0002EA66 BCP3 : 0002EA76
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

There have also been many times where the computer crashed and booted back up saying windows could not find:
http:/oca.microsoft,com/resredir.aspx?sid=10&Bucket=0x7Ent!KiOutSwapProcesses%2b10&State=1&1D=1b86d62d-7577-4588-93f3-847f5538880a&LCID=1033&OS=5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0

I can't figure out what in the world is wrong with this thing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    You could try this - go into the bios - set your agp to x4 instead of x8. - Also you might try the Graphics aperture Size set to 64mb.

You could also try to re-install the nv4_disp.dll it might just be corrupted.
  • Trance-Lord-SnyderTrance-Lord-Snyder Eastern PA Member
    edited February 2007
    The board is PCI-express 16x, I forgot to specify that.

I believe that means there is no aperture setting?

How would I go about reinstalling the nv4_disp.dll?
    Isn't that part of the Nvidia display driver? or no?
    edited February 2007
    Nvidia have posted this
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/680i_hotfix.html

I am not too well informed on hardware issues, but this might help you.
    Also on the Nvidia forum's there are various links to downloading the dll file.
    If you google nv4_disp.dll you should get some other software sites too.

Hope this helps :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Kentigern has got the right idea as it pertains to tracking down an nVidia driver problem. :)

Video drivers are notorious for leaving bits and pieces behind when you try to uninstall them. Even when updating a driver you can still have the remains of the previous version hanging around causing problems.

I'd try a driver cleaning program such as this one to make sure the old drivers are completely gone, then see if a fresh reload of the drivers helps. Make sure you follow the directions carefully.

If that makes no difference, repeat the process and see if an earlier version of the drivers helps. It might also be worth your while to see if there is a patch for the game you are having trouble with, since the problem seems to be specific to that one particular program.

Let us know how it goes. :)
    edited February 2007
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll get back to you as soon as I have time to work on the PC.
    edited February 2007
    I don't think those drivers are the correct ones. I could be wrong, but I just wanted to make sure. Here is the product page from biostar:
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=tforce+6100-939

As I said, I did update the bios for the motherboard with the liveupdate utility.

I just found the current drivers for the motherboard off of that page, so I'll try using those instead of the ones that came with the disc. That hotfix isn't compatible though is it?
    edited February 2007
    I think your problem lies with the video drivers. I'd try the latest ones from nVidia. :)
    edited February 2007
    I ran the driver cleaner and reinstalled all the latest motherboard drivers and video drivers. The computer booted fine, I ran The Sims 2 and after attempting to load a town and TS2 crashed midway through the loading sequence. Windows told me the program had crashed and gave me the option to send an error report. I reloaded TS2 and it ran fine for a little while. The computer was used normally for a few hours and The Sims 2 was loaded and run again. It played fine for a little while. While TS2 was minimized, the computer crashed, rebooted and produced an error report. It included...

STOP: 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

It told me to install the latest drivers for the video card by either windows or the site of the manufacturer (Nvidia,) which is where I always get video drivers.

An alternate option was to lower the hardware acceleration.

Any advice? I don't know if the computer will crash while not running TS2 since I just cleaned the drivers with that utility you provided and reinstalled the drivers a few hours ago.
    edited February 2007
    After hours more of use, the computer seems to be crashing when it feels like it again. My sister says that she is noticing if she really doesn't use the computer and it's just idling it seems fine, she can have AOL Instant Messenger open and use it without problems. When she tries to play the sims, look at pictures online, or view videos, she has more crashes. The computer has crashed several times and most of the time windows brought up that error about the nv4_disp.dll When I ran the driver cleaner and reinstalled all the Nvidia drivers, that file was removed and reinstalled no? Or is that separate from all of the driver files and needs to be reinstalled separately?

Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it.
    edited February 2007
    The cleaner should have taken care of the drivers.

Maybe this is heat related, since it only seems to happen when the video card is getting a workout. I'd check the fan on the video card. If you have a small table fan, try removing the side panel of the case and blowing as much cool air as possible on the video card area and see if that makes a difference. Make sure the game is running full tilt when you do it.
    edited February 2007
    I'll give it a shot, however, the video card is fanless. It's designed to be passive. I did monitor the temperatures with the Nvidia control panel and they were in normal ranges. The highest the temperature went up to after about 30 minutes of use (in the sims) it only went up to about 62C. The card is at stock speeds. I also have 4 fans set up in the case, one is blowing from the side window directly onto the video card. One is at the front blowing air into the case. Another is at the top of the case blowing air out the top, and the last is at the back of the case blowing air out the back. As I said, I'll try it out and see what happens.
    edited February 2007
    Hi just a another few idea's for you to try.

Try using the -w (window) option with Sims2 by adding option in the game program shortcut

e.g.
    "c:\Program Files\Sims2\Sims2.exe" -w (or whatever)

See if that makes a difference.

Also is your graphic card using direct x 9c and is it thunder and lightning compatible.

Are you able to try the graphic card in another slot or indeed try another graphic card altogether

Does the card need an additional power source, I have myself omitted to connect a power cable to the graphic card. Had all sorts of probs til I realized what I had missed.
    edited February 2007
    It is using Direct x 9.0c.

Thunder and lightning compatible? What do you mean?

I have used the window option and it crashes if it's windowed or in fullscreen mode, it makes no difference.

I didn't actually even check if there was an additional power connector for the card, and it may have slipped past me. I wouldn't think a 7600 GS would require one, however I will check.

The motherboard has an onboard video chipset which I checked in the bios to make sure it was turned off. The only options I have are On and Auto, so it is set to Auto so it should automatically turn off the onboard chip. Windows doesn't ever complain of a device needing drivers, so I don't think that's an issue. I could test the onboard video and I do have my 8800GTS, but I think the card would draw way too much power from the power supply.

There are no additional PCI Express slots on the board, so I have no other options.
    edited February 2007
    Thunder and lightning compatible? What do you mean?
    I believe this is to do with graphic/sound effects within the game/video
    I could test the onboard video
    If your game/pc works ok with the onboard, I would suggest trying the card in another pc with/without the sims2 game, if you still get the same problems.
    I would suggest taking the card back to the supplier for a replacement, could be you got a duff one.
    edited February 2007
    I uninstalled the old video drivers, took out the graphics card and booted up on the onboard video chip. After installing the drivers and restarting, windows was just about fully loaded (all the startup programs and what not) and the computer crashed to a BSOD leaving this...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000060, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804E6BBA)

I just posted this off of the crashing computer. The computer also crashed shortly before I uninstalled the graphics card and the BSOD said...

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

I'll continue running the computer off of the onboard video chip to see how it holds up for the time being and keep you updated of anything that happens. Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your help.
    edited February 2007
    The computer was running for about 5 minutes with Azureus running and the computer crashed, nothing else was taking place. BSOD said...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

NVENETFD.SYS

Address EBF1BC27 base at EBF1B000 Datestamp 43f615cd

As I said before, I'll keep you updated with any changes.
    edited February 2007
    ...DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

NVENETFD.SYS...
    Hmmm...

That's part of the nVidia Network drivers. I'd look for an updated version, if available.

Just to try and cover all the bases, how about posting a HijackThis log here. If we spot anything rotten going on we can turn this over to our crack SVT SWAT Team. :)
    edited February 2007
    I let the computer run over night on one stick of ram because I was still suspicious of the ram. I took out one stick and loaded up windows, but the computer crashed, so being hopeful, I took out the other stick and let it run over night on the alternate stick of ram. When I woke up this morning, the computer had crashed with the same IRQL_LESS than message.

On another note, I'm not sure if this would at all be related, but Firefox bookmarks are disappearing. Pages can be bookmarked for a few hours, or a few days, but eventually all of the bookmarks are cleared. They are not cleared every time the computer crashes.

Update 1:
    I just rebooted and right as the login screen appeared, the computer crashed. I have yet to see the computer crash when windows wasn't loaded, which makes it seem like it isn't a hardware issue, but you can never be sure.

Update 2:
    The video card and ram is all installed again since the computer crashed with either single stick of ram in and the video card uninstalled. The computer had Azureus running for about 40 minutes and the computer crashed with another DRIVER_IRQL message and...
    tcpip.sys address F0A37838 base at F0A2E000

Update 3:
    Computer crashed again while running virus scan and I just started up Azureus. Please note the computer crashes when Azureus is not running too. BSOD left this message:
    MULTIPLE IRP COMPLETE REQUESTS

When I tried to post update 3 a few seconds ago, the computer crashed with the IRQL message again. Crashing seems to be more frequently as of lately.

Let me know if I should keep posting all of the BSODs the computer brings up.

Here is the log you requested.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 6:11:21 AM, on 2/21/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\savedump.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norman\Norman Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.969\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Norman\Norman Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1171764645187
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    edited February 2007
    I looked around for a more up to date driver, however I came up with nothing more than I already had by going to the product page from the manufacturer.
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=tforce+6100-939
    I'll gladly try another driver if you can find one, but that's all I could come up with.
    edited February 2007
    Since you mentioned suspicions about the RAM, let's try a pass or two of Memtest-86. Run it with both sticks in there. Should you get any errors, run it again on each stick individually.

While you're doing that, I'm going to ask one of our SVT experts to have a look at your HJT log. I don't see anything obvious there to be concerned about, but a second opinion from a specialist wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'll also see what I can come up with regarding the Network driver issue. :)
    edited February 2007
    Alright, I'm not currently with the computer. I will run a few more passes next time I get the chance. I was suspicious of the ram but after running each of the sticks individually and still having problems, I figured they weren't at fault as memtest seemed to prove before. The memory did run flawlessly when I had them in a previous PC.

It just seems weird the computer never crashes until windows has finished loading. The earliest it has ever crashed was at the login screen. Any memtests I ran before never showed any signs of a problem.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited February 2007
    Hi Trance Lord Snyder

Your HijackThis log is clean, but can I get you to run these scans please.

1. Download and Save Blacklight to your desktop (choose "I ACCEPT" then click "DOWNLOAD" on the website).

Double-click blbeta.exe then accept the agreement, click > "Scan" then > "Next".

You'll see a list of all items found. There will also be a log on your desktop with the name "fsbl.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.log" (the xxxxxxxxxxxxxx stand for numbers).

DON'T choose Rename if something was found!

Post the contents of the fsbl.xxxx.log to here (blacklight log from your desktop)

2. Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
    • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
    • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
    • Now click on Scan Settings
    • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
      • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
        Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
      • Scan Options:
        Scan Archives
        Scan Mail Bases

[*]Click OK
        [*]Now under select a target to scan:
          Select
        My Computer

[*]This will program will start and scan your system.
        [*]The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
        [*]Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
        • Now click on the Save as Text button:
        [*]Save the file to your desktop.
        Post the log back here.
        edited February 2007
        02/21/07 22:11:37 [Info]: BlackLight Engine 1.0.55 initialized
        02/21/07 22:11:37 [Info]: OS: 5.1 build 2600 (Service Pack 2)
        02/21/07 22:11:37 [Note]: 7019 4
        02/21/07 22:11:37 [Note]: 7005 0
        02/21/07 22:12:02 [Note]: 7006 0
        02/21/07 22:12:02 [Note]: 7011 244
        02/21/07 22:12:02 [Note]: 7026 0
        02/21/07 22:12:02 [Note]: 7026 0
        02/21/07 22:12:05 [Note]: FSRAW library version 1.7.1021

She is currently attempting to scan with Kaspersky.
        After running blacklight and going to Kaspersky's site, she claimed she heard a crackling come from the computer and shortly afterwards it restarted. The computer is on again and functioning, so I'm not sure what that was about...
        I'll get the Kaspersky results posted asap.

After 2 attempts, no scans were completed tonight. The first scan didn't yet start when the computer crashed. After the 2nd attempt started, the computer was scanning for about 2 minutes and the computer crashed again. It's getting late, and I have a job interview in the morning, so I'll see if we can get a scan completed tomorrow night.

As for the crackling, I'm not sure if the computer made the noise or not since I wasn't there. If it was the computer, what could it be?

An update on those crashes too, this came up on a BSOD

ALCXWDM.SYS adress F555DDEA base at F54CE000 datestamp 44A0FD71

And this error came up on another BSOD
        PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

And as I've said before, thanks so much guys. I wish I knew as much as you did so I could help out everyone like you do.
        edited February 2007
        Here is the Kaspersky online scan results.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:03:41 PM
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
        Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.83.0
        Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 23/02/2007
        Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 257304

Scan Settings
        Scan using the following antivirus database standard
        Scan Archives true
        Scan Mail Bases true

Scan Target My Computer
        C:\
        D:\
        F:\

Scan Statistics
        Total number of scanned objects 58564
        Number of viruses found 0
        Number of infected objects 0 / 0
        Number of suspicious objects 0
        Duration of the scan process 00:26:07

Infected Object Name Virus Name Last Action
        C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012007022220070223\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\AVP89.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\AVP8A.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\AVP8B.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\AVP8E.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\UserData\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7log.log Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7log.log.lck Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\logs\starwind.2007-02-22.20-34-35.log Object is locked skipped

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{3F2DB5C5-5441-4BC9-9FA9-6B528408ED15}\RP55\change.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\fwdbglog.txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\KRISTEN.ldb Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\tvDebug.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\DEFAULT.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SOFTWARE.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sptd.sys Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sptd8093.sys Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vaxscsi.sys Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WUDF\WUDFTrace.etl Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ZLT006a9.TMP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ZLT03655.TMP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped

Scan process completed.
        edited February 2007
        Is it possible that hard drive corruption is causing all of these restarting problems?
        edited February 2007
        I'll leave the A-V advice to the pro's, but:
        Is it possible that hard drive corruption is causing all of these restarting problems?
        Run checkdisk and the test from the hard drive manufacturer. That will verify the physical integrity of the drive and the status of the Windows file system. :)
        edited February 2007
        profdlp wrote:
        I'll leave the A-V advice to the pro's, but:

Run checkdisk and the test from the hard drive manufacturer. That will verify the physical integrity of the drive and the status of the Windows file system. :)

How do I run checkdisk? Can I run that from the command prompt in dos from windows? What is the exact command?
        edited February 2007
        How do I run checkdisk? Can I run that from the command prompt in dos from windows? What is the exact command?
        Open Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click on the drive letter you want to test, left-click on Properties. Go To Tools>>Error Checking, put a check in both boxes, then click Start. If it tells you that you need to reboot, go for it.

Keep in mind that the test may take a little while, so don't run it until you are willing to be without the computer for a little while. Depending on the size of the drive, that could be anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour or more. If there are multiple partitions you should do that for each of them. :)
      • TroganTrogan London, UK
        edited February 2007
        Kaspersky log is clean. :)
        edited February 2007
        I ran the data lifeguard tool from WD, the extended test came up clean. However, checkdisk won't seem to run. Windows asks to restart the computer to run checkdisk, once it is restarted, a blue screen flashes too quickly to read, and the computer loads up like normal.