Random computer crashes

2»

Comments

• Trance-Lord-SnyderTrance-Lord-Snyder Eastern PA Member
    edited March 2007
    Hey, mabye this'll help out. A new BSOD showed up which really concerns me, but I have no clue how serious it could be. The BSOD said....

A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.

STOP: 0x000000F7 (0x00009D85, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x00000000)

Could this be because of a really stealthy virus or rootkit or something?
  • edited March 2007
    hi, i was googling and found your thread which is similar to my problem.
    i had biostar 6100 , using onboard vga and it crash on me while surfing, play games or watching video. when it crash, it gave me zebra lines. i even bought 7300gt to test and still had the same problem. i had my mobo change and turn into tforce 6100 instead. and yet, same problem still happens. 3dmark03 couldnt get past ragtroll, coz it start giving artifact error and restart. playing counter strike would hang my client , worst - restart. however playing the sims 2 didn't gave me any serious error yet.
    but, using this mobo does not gave errors as frequent as i had with gforce 6100 instead.

same as you did, i had update my bios, nvidia graphic , directx. and now im trying to update my chipset . my ram pass memtest with flying colors, and i had only use this mobo / proc / ram for not more than 3 weeks. seeing that we had the same problem, and play the same game.. i think it could be biostar / driver problem instead.

my rig : x2 3600 am2 .
    biosar tforce 6100
    512x2 667 kingston
    7300gt biostar
  • edited April 2007
    i would like to inform you that my problem is solved by downloading chipset driver from nvidia.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    Glad you got it whipped, shrek. :cheers:
  • edited April 2007
    Hi all,

Id Just like to say im having this problem also. it has been on going for aslong as I can remember, I bought a new Graphics Card and upgrader my memory to 2 GB however the computer still crashes at random times. It seems to happen as stated above, when im playing a game or something, and then it seems to crash as soon as it hits the desktop on restart several times. Then ill continue to use my computer and at a random interval it will crash again. Iv spoke to some people and they seem to think the problem is that My PC is 3 years old and I have upgraded somethings , new Hard drive , Graphics Card and Memory yet my prower supply is the original one , 240W. I have recently formatted my pc and installed all the latest drivers. I really cant find the problem. The computer just seems to crash at random times. No explanation or error codes are provided. The only way to shut the pc down is to turn it off by the power supply. Due to this method I have recived error messages on startup telling me my windows is corrupt. This Weekend I have had to reformat my PC 3 times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :wink:
    edited April 2007
    zico, I'd be willing to bet that the PSU is indeed the problem. Before I bought a new one I would run a pass or two of Memtest-86 to rule out any potential RAM issues. :)
  • edited April 2007
    Bought me a 570W Power Supply. It was all looking good as the computer didnt crash for 3 hours and then I was hit with 6 crashes in 10 minutes :O. I really cant see what the problem is here.
    edited April 2007
    Did you try Memtest?
  • edited April 2007
    Yeh i Tried all of the above. All fine , I can now onl;y think mabe its the Motherboard or the fact that my windows isnt updated, Currently im not running Service Pack 2 etc, simple beacuse my wireless network just wont connect when I have SP2 installed.
  • edited June 2007
    Someone mentioned "zebra stripes" at one point. I'm pretty sure this is a BIOS problem on some BIOSTAR motherboards. When I looked at the GeForce 6100-M9 motherboard on BIOSTAR's web site I saw that there appears to be a BIOS upgrade that might fix the problem.

The same zebra striping happens under both Windows and Linux and I've swapped a number of RAM sticks that I know run well in other systems. If you're getting zebra striping it's not a Windows problem!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Thread stuck in device driver means the device isn't finishing doing what it's told. That means there's a bus short.