Serious computer issue...rebooting, system errors...

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi again,

I have a computer problem as always.

One of my computers, after booting, will create a pop-up that mentions "your computer recovered from a serious error." It gives the choice to "send" or "do not send" the error report. The computer will randomly shut off and reboot, and then continuously reboot. The only way to get to the desktop is to turn the computer off, wait a second, then boot again.

I checked the detailed error report and it had a bunch of numbers and 2 files; it mentioned that those 2 files were associated with the problem. I can post these codes and files if it is needed.

I then decided I was just going to save all of my stuff to the other HD and format c: It wouldn't let me format the c: I have to dismount the c drive first. It asked if I wanted to force a dismount and it still couldn't.

I really don't know what to do. I am typing on a different computer right now.
I figured I would just ask short-media because you guys are so helpful. What would be the easiest way to fix this problem?

I guess my main question is how do I get my hard-drive to format? Why won't it let me?
If I have two hard-drives and I leave stuff on the unformatted one, I will be able to retrieve it after installing windows right?

ETA: Here is the error message. One more thing. It is weird, sometimes on restarting the message appears and on other times it doesn't. It hasn't recently. Hmmm....

The following files will be included in this error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc146.dir00\Mini021307-05.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc146.dir00\sysdata.xml

Error Signature:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 80545FF0 BCP3 : B2000010
BCP4 : 00010C0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Thanks,

M

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Any suggestions?

Sorry I am getting anxious.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Find these two files and attach them to your next post:
    M11293 wrote:
    ...C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc146.dir00\Mini021307-05.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc146.dir00\sysdata.xml...

Random reboots are often due to failing RAM. I'd give [FONT=&quot]Memtest-86 a pass or two.

As for the format problem, are you trying to format the drive from within Windows? (That ain't a-gonna work.)

I'd do the other stuff first, then we'll better know where you stand so we can ensure that your data is safe. Don't do anything else to try and fix the computer until you have attached those two files and run the memory test. We'll advise you on the safest way to proceed from there. :)
    [/FONT]
  • edited February 2007
    I could not locate the files. Error message said that the files could possibly be on a network or another device.

I am having trouble running the MemTest-86 v3.2. Do I put it on a floppy then run during the boot? What sort of command do I use to start the program? I am sorta lost here. Sorry.

NVM: I got it working. I just had to change the boot sequence in the BIOS. What should I report?

Thanks,

M
    edited February 2007
    M11293 wrote:
    I could not locate the files. Error message said that the files could possibly be on a network or another device...
    They were saved in a temporary directory and probably were automatically deleted when you rebooted. If you get the error again, try copying them to your desktop and save them there so you can post them.
    ...running the MemTest-86...What should I report?...
    If you complete at least one full pass with no errors, your RAM is fine. If it reports even one error then you either have faulty RAM or need to adjust your RAM settings.

Tell us what it says regarding errors and we'll go from there. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    memtest will take hours to run.
    It runs multiple tests so give it time, like overnight if you can.

When you have checked everything else there are two ways to reformat the drive. Either boot to your windows set up disk and tell it to do it. Or use the drive utlity disk from the hard drive manufacturer. You can boot to it and it will have a format utility.
  • edited February 2007
    It has been running for almost 16 hours. It has completed through 90% of Test #7 with 25 "Pass" and 0 "Errors."

Can I stop it now? What else should I do?
    edited February 2007
    The "Pass" column indicates completed passes of the full battery of tests. At 25 passes with no errors it is safe to say that your RAM is not the problem.

This information suggests that it may be a driver problem. While it describes a problem encountered when upgrading from WinME to WinXP, it could well apply to your computer as well.

Do any of the devices in Device Manager have warning labels (a red "X" or yellow "!") next to them? I would check that all your drivers are approved for WinXP as a start. The most likely culprits for the problem you describe are your video and network drivers. I would check and see if you have the latest drivers for each of those devices and use the WHQL drivers if at all possible.

See where that gets you and let us know if it has helped. If you're still stuck with the problem we will try something else.

Hang in there. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Ok,

I checked under the device manager and a couple of the drivers were before the 5.1.2600.

I checked under Other Devices because it had a "yellow question mark" next to it. The items under "Other Devices" are as follows.

Other Devices
    -Other PCI Bridge Device
    -PCI Mem Controller
    -SM Bus Controller
    -Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

All of theses items are question marked. All of these devices have no listed drivers. I did try the XP as suggested. The drivers could not be installed off of the disk.

Culprit?

I do have another ethernet card that works just fine. It is a 3Com. It had listed drivers and wasn't labeled as a question mark or an exclamation point.

Where can I find these drivers listed under Other Devices? I am running a MSI K8N Neo4 board.

Thanks again,

M
    edited February 2007
    M11293 wrote:
    ...I checked under Other Devices because it had a "yellow question mark" next to it. The items under "Other Devices" are as follows.

Other Devices
    -Other PCI Bridge Device
    -PCI Mem Controller
    -SM Bus Controller

All of theses items are question marked. All of these devices have no listed drivers. I did try the XP as suggested. The drivers could not be installed off of the disk...

...Where can I find these drivers listed under Other Devices? I am running a MSI K8N Neo4 board...
    Go to MSI's website and look for the Chipset drivers. There are several versions of that board; make sure you match the number in this format (MS-####) to what is printed on your motherboard.

I'm pretty sure that once you get these drivers installed you will see a dramatic upturn in your fortunes. :D
  • edited February 2007
    Ok,

I created the MS-DOS boot disk. I created the BIOS update disk. I restarted with the boot disk and then inserted the BIOS disk. I typed the necessary commands. It updated successfully.

I returned to Windows and the items under...

Other Devices
    -Other PCI Bridge Device
    -PCI Mem Controller
    -SM Bus Controller

...still had a question mark/exclamation point in yellow. I don't really know what to do now. http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp.
    This is the link to the download I used. It matches the model and everything.

Now what?

Thanks again,

M
    edited February 2007
    The problem is not with the BIOS, it's with the motherboard drivers.

What version of the board do you have? (List the MS-#### part number from the board itself.)
  • edited February 2007
    K8N Neo4 Series MS-7125 (v1.X) ATX Mainboard.

I think I found what I need, but I am not sure.
    edited February 2007
    Just in case, look for these; stay away from the 64-Bit unless you're sure you're using the 64-Bit version of Windows.

<table align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="driverlist" height="25">download_mb_driverlist_tico.gifNVIDIA nForce4 System Drivers</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="1">product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#cccccc">product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td>product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="listtopic" bgcolor="#f7f7f7" height="20"> <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="detailtopic" bgcolor="#ececec" height="22" width="120"> download_mb_biosdetail_t.gif Support model </td> <td class="detailcon">Supports NVIDIA nForce4 series chipset
    K8N Diamond, K8N SLI Platinum, K8N Neo4 Platinum</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td>product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#cccccc">product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td>product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="listtopic" bgcolor="#f7f7f7" height="20"> <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="detailtopic" bgcolor="#ececec" height="22" valign="top" width="120"> download_mb_biosdetail_t.gif Description</td> <td class="detailcon">
    For Win200/XP system
    • Ethernet NRM driver version 4.82 (WHQL)
    • Network management tools
    • SMBus driver version 4.5(WHQL) with updated uninstaller files
    • Installer version 4.93
    • Win2K IDE PATARAID driver version 5.52
    • Win2K IDE SATARAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
    • Win2K IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
    • Win2K RAIDTOOL application version 5.52
    • WinXP IDE PATARAID driver version 5.52
    • WinXP IDE SATARAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
    • WinXP IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
    • WinXP RAIDTOOL application version 5.52

For WinXP 64-bit system
    • Ethernet NRM driver version 4.82 (WHQL)
    • Network Firewall management tools version 4.85
    • SMBus driver version 4.48 (WHQL)
    • Installer version 4.77
    • WinXP IDE PATARAID driver version 5.34
    • WinXP IDE SATARAID driver version 5.34 (WHQL)
    • WinXP IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.34 (WHQL)
    • WinXP RAIDTOOL application version 4.82</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td>product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#cccccc">product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td>product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="listtopic" bgcolor="#f7f7f7" height="20"> <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="detailtopic" bgcolor="#ececec" height="22" width="120"> download_mb_biosdetail_t.gifDate</td> <td class="detailcon">2006-3-23</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td>product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#cccccc">product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td>product_dot1.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="listtopic" bgcolor="#f7f7f7" height="20"> <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="detailtopic" bgcolor="#ececec" height="22" width="120"> download_mb_biosdetail_t.gif Your System OS</td> <td class="detailcon"> Disc_Black.gifWinXP 64-bit(34613KB)Disc_Black.gif2000/XP(10004KB)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
  • edited February 2007
    Ok,

I installed the non 64-bit driver. The restarting problem persists.

Other Devices
    -Other PCI Bridge Device
    -PCI Mem Controller
    -SM Bus Controller

All of these have disappeared except for the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.

I did manage, however, during the error report presentation, to copy the files onto a floppy and move them to my other computer, but I can't upload them because the site says "invalid file" when I try to. I do have the files though. Interestingly enough, new files are being created; this is obvious since they are being deleted because they are "temp" files. The file I have listed above is not the one that I have copied. I have two different files that are creating this error report.

Each error group has a "MiniXXXXX-XX.dmp" file and a "sysdata.xml" file. Each group also has an error report "manifest" file. It creates a log of the file. Here they are.

Server=watson.microsoft.com
    UI LCID=1033
    Flags=1696080
    Brand=WINDOWS
    TitleName=Microsoft Windows
    DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
    HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
    Stage2URL=
    Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=9c&BCP1=00000004&BCP2=80545FF0&BCP3=B2000010&BCP4=00010C0F&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=2_0&Product=768_1
    DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8969.dir00\Mini021407-01.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8969.dir00\sysdata.xml
    ErrorSubPath=blue
    DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8969.dir00

Server=watson.microsoft.com
    UI LCID=1033
    Flags=1696080
    Brand=WINDOWS
    TitleName=Microsoft Windows
    DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
    HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
    Stage2URL=
    Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=9c&BCP1=00000004&BCP2=80545FF0&BCP3=B2000010&BCP4=00010C0F&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=2_0&Product=768_1
    DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER36e8.dir00\Mini021407-01.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER36e8.dir00\sysdata.xml
    ErrorSubPath=blue
    DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\Main\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER36e8.dir00

Where do I go from here? Is this a virus?

Thanks again for your time,

M
  • edited February 2007
    Anything?

Sorry I am just being impatient again.

Thanks,

M
    edited February 2007
    Update the USB driver, too. If you have a USB mouse (or USB anything, really) it could be causing the problem.
  • edited February 2007
    I managed to install the driver for my mouse and the USB but I couldn't find the driver for my keyboard. The keyboard is listed as having a functioning driver and after searching for an updated driver, it said it found no new updated drivers.

Thanks,

M

The problem continues.
  • edited February 2007
    What do I do now?

Thanks,

M
  • edited February 2007
    Any ideas?
  • edited March 2007
    My computer almost seems worse. It is restarting so often that I can't really reach the desktop; sometimes I can't even get to the desktop.

What could possibly be wrong?
    edited March 2007
    Have you got all you data safely backed up?

If you do, I would zero out the drive and start over. If not, let's work on protecting your files first, then move on to more drastic measures.
  • edited March 2007
    I backed my stuff up before posting on this forum, as a precaution.

I am ready I guess. I have two hard drives. Zero them both out?
    edited March 2007
    I'd leave your spare drive out of the computer for now and zero out the Windows drive.

One thing we haven't checked is your PSU. A failing power supply can cause all sorts of odd errors. Do you have a spare one you could try? If you do (or if you can borrow one), I'd try that as the next step. If not, go ahead and see if starting from a completely blank drive can get things going in the right direction.

Hang in there. :)
  • edited March 2007
    What must be done to zero a hard drive? How is this different than formatting? I know with formatting you can recover data using a data recovery procedure.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Well did you want to try just formatting and starting over with a fresh copy of Windows like you originally mentioned?

Your machine is still randomly rebooting and giving your error reports?
  • edited March 2007
    I reformatted my hard drive, the Windows drive, and Windows started reinstalling. I went through the code stuff, and the language stuff. My computer then rebooted in the middle of the Windows installation. I have not disconnected my other hard drive.

I thought zeroing was different from formatting.
    edited March 2007
    Zeroing out a drive is somewhat more drastic than formatting. A typical format just erases certain areas of the drive to make it appear blank. Zeroing it out actually overwrites the entire drive with zeros.

Have you given any thought to the PSU suggestion? :)
  • edited March 2007
    The computer I am on now has a working one, but it is very old. Should I go buy a new one?

How do I zero out a drive??
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't buy a new one just yet, unless you are 100% sure that you can return it if it doesn't do the trick.

To zero out the drive, go to the manufacturer's web site and look in their disk utilities download section. :)
  • edited March 2007
    I may have found the or a problem...

After opening my case I noticed a little fan on the mother board that previously did spin, but no longer does. Here is a picture with a red "X" to highlight the fan that no longer spins. I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier.

4g4dg7q.jpg

Possibly the problem?

Thanks for your time,

M