Serious computer issue...rebooting, system errors...

2»

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    That could well be the problem. Many boards run just fine with a dead chipset fan, but others struggle mightily.

Do you have a small table fan you could use to blow cool air across it for troubleshooting purposes? If the problems disappear when you do that you should be able to find a replacement for not too much money.
  • edited March 2007
    The table fan idea worked. I was able to install windows. Unfortunately new errors are occurring. Previously, the computer would restart in the middle of the windows installation, now it completes it when using the table fan. I was able to get to the desktop. I decided to install the system drivers, graphics card drivers, and my ethernet card drivers. I restarted the computer and I am getting a boot disk failure; it asks for the system disk. It also says "Checking MAB" or something to that effect. I also noticed that my 250 GB HD is now only listed as having 130 GB. I did format the hard drive and erased the partitions, but I did not zero it out.

What is going on here?

Thanks again,

M
  • edited March 2007
    Any ideas?

Thanks,

M
  • edited March 2007
    Anything?

Should I consider taking it into a computer repair shop?

Thanks,

M
    edited March 2007
    I would replace that chipset fan on the motherboard.

Have you had any luck snagging the dump files mentioned in your first post? They might give us a clue as to what is causing the problem. :)
  • edited March 2007
    I have the files. I just can't upload them or do anything with them.

What is up with my computer after formatting? Why is the hard drive space so much smaller now? Why won't it boot properly?
    edited March 2007
    Have you replaced the chipset fan?
    M11293 wrote:
    I have the files. I just can't upload them or do anything with them.
    How big are they?
    ...Why is the hard drive space so much smaller now?
    What is the nominal size of the drive and what does Window show you? Do you see any free space on the drive in Disk Management?
    ...Why won't it boot properly?
    Most likely because you have either a bad driver, or because the chip on your computer is overheating due to the bad fan.

Try updating the video and network drivers and try and answer the previous questions. :)
  • edited April 2007
    I visited Sidewindercomputers and asked their customer service for a recommendation for a replacement chipset fan for my K8N Neo 4 chipset. I was given http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrsli.html Does this look good?

Thanks again,

M
    edited April 2007
    That would do it, but it's way into the "overkill" category. Go to a local shop and buy a dinky little fan the same size as the one you had died on you. Take the old one with you, if possible, to get an exact size match. You can probably find one for around five bucks. :)
  • M11M11
    edited April 2007
    I installed the "overkill" HR-05-SLI and it works well. It is very quiet. I don't really understand how it works without a fan; if someone would like to explain how a heat sink like that works, I would be interested.

I had trouble booting because the BIOS listed the other hard drive, the one without windows, as the startup drive. I just had to switch the hard drive priority order. My 250 GB hard drive is now only listed as having 127 GB of total space with 122 GB of free space. 127 is the "max" listed under the properties. Where did the other 120 GB go? I can't imagine I will even come close to using that much space, but it bothers me. Everything else seems to be in order. The computer is running smoothly. I have updated and will continue to update.
    edited April 2007
    M11 wrote:
    I installed the "overkill" HR-05-SLI and it works well. It is very quiet. I don't really understand how it works without a fan; if someone would like to explain how a heat sink like that works, I would be interested.
    Among the features listed is this:

Dual heatpipes for more effective heat transfer

The heatpipes are those tubes running up the center of the unit. They work like this. :)
    I had trouble booting because the BIOS listed the other hard drive, the one without windows, as the startup drive. I just had to switch the hard drive priority order.
    Good catch - that'll do it (almost) every time. :thumbsup:
    ...My 250 GB hard drive is now only listed as having 127 GB of total space with 122 GB of free space. 127 is the "max" listed under the properties. Where did the other 120 GB go?...
    Have you installed Service Pack 1 yet? WinXP pre-SP1 will do exactly what you describe.
  • M11M11
    edited April 2007
    I have installed SP2...
    edited April 2007
    A tool like Partition Magic should be able to resize the existing partition to the full size of the drive. Alternatively, you could create a new partition in the free space under Disk Management.
  • M11M11
    edited April 2007
    Are there are free versions of this that actually allow you to resize? The trial I downloaded won't work because it is just a trial. Also, how much unallocated space should I leave? 8.0 GB?

Thanks
    edited April 2007
    There's no need to leave any unallocated space.

As for a free trial, let me see if I can find a freeware partition program. There may be something on the Ultimate Boot CD that will do it, but you'll need a good Internet connection as it's a rather large download. :)
  • M11M11
    edited April 2007
    I am having trouble installing that Ultimate Boot CD program. I can't find a reliable mirror or if I do I don't know what to do with these "torrent" programs.

Almost done!

Thanks
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    To download torrents you need a bittorrent program, like Azureus or uTorrent. Just google it.
  • M11M11
    edited April 2007
    I just used the Disk Management tool. I was sick of using the torrent stuff.
    I can't find the USB cotroller driver for my chipset. MSI doesn't have anything listed.

All is well finally!

Thanks you very much!

M
    edited April 2007
    Glad to hear you're back in business. :cheers:
  • vcmichaelvcmichael New Delhi, India
    edited April 2007
    Open your computer. Detach power cables to HDDs . Switch on the computer and watch the computer for a while. Does it restarts as before? If it is ok then suspect the joints(power connector's) on the HDD. It may be loose or unclean.

If the computer restarts without HDD suspect the 20 (or 24) pin and the 4 pin connector to the MoBo. Clean it.

I have repaired a few systems with similar problems as yours. All the problems were related to improper power supplies. But a bad Cpu fan(heats up the CPU) and Bad RAM modules too can cause similar problems.:cool2:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Mr. vcmichael, welcome to Short-Media. Thanks for stopping in to help a member. We hope you'll stay and be comfortable here.

Leonardo