Antec True Control (24 pin?)

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited February 2007 in Hardware
I bought an Antec True Controll 550watt power supply for my first build from a local auction site but Im unsure if it has a 24 pin plug (Ill paste a link to the manufacturer page below).

On inspection it has a 20 pin plug and a seperate plug with another 4 pins...
(forgive me if this is a stoopid question but this is my first biuld)

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20552

thanks in advance - S.N -

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Not a stoopid question at all really. The older style mobo was 20 pin and the newer style is 24. 20 + 4 is a way to make sure that you can accomodate either one or the other. Is there 1 or 2 4pin plugs? As in 20+4 and 4 or just 20 and 4?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I did some looking around. Antec's current model, or at least the latest in the TrueControl 550 series is the TrueControl II. The TrueControl II has a 24-pin ATX plug, which has 20-pin module and 4-pin module all on the same cable. It can be used for a 20 or 24-pin ATX motherboard. The TrueControl (no 'II') has only the 20-pin ATX connector. The standalone 4-pin connector (on its own cable) with each of those TrueControl model is sometimes called the P-4 connector. The P-4 connector will not fit alongside a 20-pin ATX connector.

If your new motherboard is a 24-pin ATX type, don't worry. You will probably still be able to use the your PSU with the 20-pin connector. Most of the large computer parts stores, retail and online sell 20-24-pin adapters such as this one.
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited February 2007
    Would using the adaptor risk damaging any of the components? an E6600 processor is not an inexpensive thing on this side of the earth.
    edited February 2007
    Nope. You won't risk any motherboard components or the CPU. The principle purpose of a 24-pin ATX is to distribute the currency more thoroughly throughout the motherboard. The 20-24 adapter accomplishes that.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    The principle purpose of a 24-pin ATX is to distribute the currency more thoroughly throughout the motherboard.

Lol, shouldn't that be throughout the company?

Sorry Leo.
    edited February 2007
    ...probably that too!