Need to size down farm.

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited February 2007 in Folding@Home
It is unfortunate, but we are unable to maintain the size of our folding farm.
Our largest expense being toward electricity costs of $1000 AUD and upward per month (computer room temps etc are making life quite difficult). Though maintenance isn't a huge problem they do add to an already heavy burden.

We are NOT shutting down the complete farm, just pulling the plug on maybe around 12 older comps. What we are aiming for is to hopefully get the room temps down so we can turn off the big wall mounted aircon, which has been running non-stop for month's. Combined with the computers, this will bring the cost down, so we can put a bit more towards our house payments.

On occassions we will still build the odd new comp and removed an old one. With todays technology, less heat = less power. (we hope)

Just a heads up to all our supportive folding team mates.

Jon (The Dragon) and Sally (Yup the Handbrake)

Comments

• CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited February 2007
    Hi Jon and Sally,

no one can doubt your dedication to the folding cause and spending that much (£400?) per month on electricity is way beyond the call for private individuals. So good on you both and I hope you manage to keep the top of the range units going.

I think you are quite right in spending limited capital on more effficient devices that will save operational expenditure.

Pity you can't export some of that spare heat up here to the UK at the moment. :wink:

Cheers, Crypto :bigggrin:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I can't beleive that you have run this many for this long.
    You guys are great.
    I only have a few machines and I know what you mean. Mine keep the basement warm.
    I am sure that we will see you ramp back up in the winter.
    Look at the bright side, with Conroe the power demand has come way down. Maybe you can sell off a few boxes and replace them with less hungry ones.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Jon and Sally for all your inspiration thus far.:respect: You folks definitely made hay while the sun shone.

The cost of the rigs is cheap compared to the cost of the electricity to keep them running. I am constantly looking for ways to try to cut the cost a small amount. When I look to upgrade my current rigs, power usage has become a factor. (I'm down to 3 personal and 1 SMX)

It hurts now, but it will pay off.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Nobody could ever ask for more than you guys have contributed. Your dedication and personal efforts are nothing short of amazing.

:thumbsup:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I too have been turning off older PC's in favor of newer, faster rigs. I'm selling the old one to needy customers and let them fold in their house/ business. I'm down from 11 PC's in my house to 5. I hope to be down to 4 by this summer....

I know how much $$$ it takes and we appreciate every penny you've put into Folding... Thank you Jon & Sally!!! :thumbsup:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    No Porb Jon & Sally keep up the good work thus far, you guys have been a huge help here at SM and we hope to see those numbers jump back up in due time :)

My home PC stash has shrunk form 13 PC's to 3 PC's and I am about to remove 1 more...
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited February 2007
    One cannont blame you for trying to eliminate some of your power bill and try to pay your home off quicker. Thanks for all that you have done for the team and the project in whole.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Nobody could ever ask for more than you guys have contributed. Your dedication and personal efforts are nothing short of amazing.

:thumbsup:

That says it for me. :ausflag: :cheers: :ausflag:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'm a big fan of efficiency. Shutting down the slower, less productive machines in return for a more efficient home seems like a win if you ask me. No one can doubt you and Sally are committed to the cause!
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Well done and all the best for the future.
  • BlueDragonBlueDragon Longwood, FL USA New
    edited February 2007
    thank you both for you true hearted help you have shown such true dedication none can blame you for needing a break. once again thank you both
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Nobody could ever ask for more than you guys have contributed.
    Nothing else to add! :)