I just suffered a hardware disaster

WeedoWeedo New
edited March 2007 in Hardware
grr

Comments

• -Mac--Mac- Vancouver, Canada
    edited March 2007
    um..did u want help with that or just venting? cuz we'd need some details eh ><
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited March 2007
    I related the incident but I was so disgusted by it and it was so absolutely ridiculous that I removed it. It involved the frying of 2 harddrives and the external enclosures I had them in. Plus the loss of some media files that will be difficult to replace.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    No pressure, Weedo, but maybe your disaster, and a description of the cause would help others avoid the same carnage. Sorry to hear about it. Many of us here, including yours truly have destroyed perfectly good hardware good by perfectly bad actions. Don't feel alone.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2007
    Weedo, i know it won't help you, but a little while ago i managed to kill Sally's 955 EE and a $400 mobo.

As Leo stated..................
    Leonardo wrote:
    No pressure, Weedo, but maybe your disaster, and a description of the cause would help others avoid the same carnage. Sorry to hear about it. Many of us here, including yours truly have destroyed perfectly good hardware by perfectly bad actions. Don't feel alone.

I'm sorry to hear about your disaster too.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited March 2007
    Ok, I'll share again. I have 2 160gb Hitachi IDE HD's, each in an external enclosure. One pair was about 1.5 years old but the other pair was brand new. The old one started to not read intermittently when I would turn it on and after 2 days stopped reading all together. So I took the old Hd out of the old enclosure and put it in the new one to see if it would read in that one. Just wanted to see if it was the HD or the enclosure that was bad. I didn't see the harm in it. When I put the old drive in the new enclosure and turned it on, it (the enclosure) started smoking from the circuit board area after just a few seconds. Crap! So I unplugged it real quick. Well, I figured thats that for that hd and enclosure so I put the new drive in the old enclosure and it didn't work. :confused: So then I did something which I thought was foolish but I did it anyway. I opened up my XP machine and plugged the drives in one at a time. The old HD wouldn't even power on and the new one just clicked. So now I figure I'm out 2 drives and 2 enclosures. Fortunately I had all my pictures burned and stored on other computers but I have a lot stuff on the old hd that I hate to lose. None of it critical though. I guess I should have let the old combo die a peaceful death and not got the new stuff involved. I just didn't think the old drive would take the other stuff with it like it did. Even if it was bad.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    I'd be willing to bet that if you replace the logic board you can get at least one (if not both) hard drives working again. My guess is that something in the enclosure circuitry went whacko and took the logic boards out with it.

Look on eBay for someone selling the same drive with the same logic board version.

For what it's worth, I don't really see that you did anything stupid. Hardware problems have a knack of snowballing sometimes; you just got swept up in the avalanche. ;)