Help! Computer can't turn on!

edited February 2007 in Hardware
Okay, today, after I got home, I tried to turn on my computer. I pressed the power buttom, and it sounded like it was starting up but turned off after about 5 seconds. So, I tried it again, same thing. I open my computer case, make sure all the plugs are in, replug them, and check my PSU to see if any of the switches were wrong. All fine. I did not smell any burn, or see anything that indicated that my PSU has died, and everything seemed okay. I replug the the computer into different outlets, and tried different cords, and turned the computer on with my case open. This time it barely turned on. All the fans moved for about a second, and then it would stop. I need help now. The computer was working fine 6 hours ago, and nothing seems fried. But now, it won't turn on. Need help please.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Try resetting the BIOS and see if that makes for a change. :)
  • edited February 2007
    How do I reset my bios if I can't even turn my computer on?
    edited February 2007
    Unplug it from the wall, remove the CMOS battery (the thing that resembles a watch battery; built in to the motherboard), then move the CMOS jumper to the reset position and leave it there for twenty minutes. Then move the jumper back to the normal position, replace the CMOS battery, plug in the computer, cross your fingers and hit the power button. :)
  • edited February 2007
    When you say replace, do you mean use a new battery?
  • edited February 2007
    Okay, so heres the scoop. I looked up in my mobo's manual how to reset the CMOS, and I did what it said. It said just to take the jumper and put it into slot 2-3 for 5 sec to reset and put it back to the orginial slot. I did that and it did the same thing. Should I do the steps you gave me? I hope if anything is fried that it is just my PSU.
    edited February 2007
    Sewei wrote:
    ...Should I do the steps you gave me?...
    Sometimes there is some residual electricity which keeps the settings longer than normal. What I suggested is the surest way to know that your BIOS has truly been reset. It's worth a try before you start thinking about replacing parts.
    ...I hope if anything is fried that it is just my PSU.
    Can you borrow one from a friend to check things out?

If you do need to buy one, make sure you get it from a place that will allow you to return it if it doesn't do the trick. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Did what you told me, nothing happened. Grr.
  • edited February 2007
    Replaced my power supply. It works now. Thanks for all your help :-)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Ah, another young Padawan takes a learning step.

Seriously, I'm glad you got the problem fixed. Stick around here. There's much more to be learned and we are good bunch of lads to learn with!
    edited February 2007
    I'm glad to hear that it wasn't worse, and very glad to hear that you're back in business. :cheers:
  • edited February 2007