Reseating the Video Card Let Computer Start Again

Trance-Lord-SnyderTrance-Lord-Snyder Eastern PA Member
edited March 2007 in Hardware
So I tried putting a new hard drive into my computer and then it wouldn't boot. It made a long beep at startup. Ok I said, I'll just take the hard drive out and it'll boot. Nope. So what in the heck happened? After 2 hours of restraining myself from throwing my computer at the wall, I figured it out. I took the video card out of it's PCI Express slot, booted the PC, it beeped and nothing happened as expected. I put the video card back in it's slot, and voila! Computer boots! So just in case you ever think doing something so stupid would have no effect, do it anyways. You just never know. I put the hard drive back in expecting a similar result but it booted fine. So I have no clue what happened.

If there is some kind of logical explanation to this, please let me know, because I'm confused.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Dirty and/or loose connection between video card and slot.
  • Trance-Lord-SnyderTrance-Lord-Snyder Eastern PA Member
    edited March 2007
    Hey... you calling my computer dirty!? haha... just kidding.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Video cards are notorious for that - move them just slightly, even just the vibrations from moving a case, and boing, contact from the card to its slot is compromised.

Good reminder to all of us, though. Thanks.