CPU usage in F@H

IAstudentIAstudent Iowa City, IA USA
edited March 2007 in Folding@Home
In my task manager, F@H tends to use about 50% CPU when I leave it running. Since it usually uses more CPU power when there's fewer things running, is that a normal value or could it be higher? I'm running a 3.4ghz Pentium 4, by the way.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Can you send us a screen shot of your Task Manager, please? It would be good to see where the resources are being used.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Does it EVERY go above 50%?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited March 2007
    Does your chip have hyperthreading?
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited March 2007
    Sounds like you have Hyperthreading enabled on your P4. You're probably only running one instance of F@H then? If so, you need to go download the text-only console version of F@H from the download page on the folding site. Setup two different folders, put the console program in each folder and setup folding from there.

The only thing you have to note, is that on one of the folding installations, when it asks you to change advanced settings, type YES. When it comes to machine ID, type 2 or any number between 2 and 8, doesn't matter. This keeps the folding cores from conflicting with eachother.

After all this you will have 2 folding cores utilizing 50% of your processor each. You have to do this same process for true dual core processors as well. The folding client in its current form is not designed to utilize SMP. So for now you have to load multiple instances to take advantage of both cores, be it true or virtual.

~FA