Perpetual Restart, Windows XP

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hey out there! Hopefully someone can get me some help :confused:

I recently encountered several cases of spyware and a few viruses on my Windows XP desktop. (This is not a virus related thread!) I ran every removal tool that I know to be good. (Ie, Adaware, AVG, SpyBot, etc. I made sure they were each legitimate removal tools before using them.) I followed every recommended action, which was usually to move the selected objects to the vault.

Anyway, when I chose to reboot the computer to catch and remove the last bits of spyware, it went into the dreaded perpetual restart cycle and is entirely unusable.

If I let the start-up cycle through normally, it restarts itself before it even makes it to the log-in screen. It usually restarts shortly after displaying the black Windows XP loading screen.

I can get to the advanced options through F8, but no matter which option I chose, it will NOT finish booting. The same thing happens over again as I said above.

After reading up on forums and articles, I have a basic idea as to what is wrong but I cannot complete the listed solutions for various reasons. Partly because the solutions require that the computer boots up completely, even if for a short period. Or partly because this computer was given to me many months ago by a friend so I do not have an XP CD or anything of the sort.

Wiping the computer is my last resort. I never backed it up or copied all of my important contents so I hope to restore what I can. And I can't exactly afford to be ridiculously charged and taken advantage of by Best Buy. (I say this because I dated an employee in the Geek Squad and learned alittle insight.) I'm currently at a dead-end and it has been like this for a month. I'm exhausted! Help! :sad2: :banghead:

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Oh also. I don't remember how I got to it, but from the advanced options screen (F8), I was able to find out that I'm getting a stop error. I wrote down the information.

Stop C000021a. and also listed: 0xc0000034.

I found lots of information by microsoft about the above stop error but the solutions are too high-tech for me. I'm not able to understand them. >.<
  • edited March 2007
    Can no one help me? =/
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    You could try a repair, but you have no XP CD, still though I'd wipe it... a few things first:

I hope you have a Certified Windows sticker on the case of the computer, this will have your product type and key. For example "Windows XP Professional" or "Windows XP Home" and the product key which is like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

Since you have no XP CD, you'll need to acquire one, it's just a media CD and should be legal to borrow one from a friend since you have you're own key. But it needs to be of the same type like if you have XP Home, it needs to be a Windows XP Home CD.

To backup what you have, you could take out the HDD and put it into another computer and copy over the contents of your documents folder or whatever other items you need. Make sure this other computer has a good virus scanner or you risk infecting another computer in case virus's still exist on this one.

I'm sure others will have better ideas; but like me, may have missed your thread from before as I never saw this thread until now :P Just trying to give my best advise as it seems to me the current windows install is fubar.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    RWB, I think your suggestions are logical. If he can't even boot and he's run numerous anti-malware programs, it does sound like his Windows installation is seriously damaged.
  • edited March 2007
    I have the same problem as toxxikk. I tried using the wind xp CD but couldn't repair the installation. when I did the chkdsk, it didn't return any problems.

did toxxikk solved it or can anyone else help me plz

tks
  • edited March 2007
    Problem Solved
    OK. I installed a fresh copy of winxp on a different partition. that I created from the unpartitioned space. it worked fine. & I was able to access the old partition to get my files & stuff.

Glad it's over:wink:

hope this helps
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    Glad you got it going, cyousra. :cheers:

When someone has a problem, usually the last thing they want to hear is advice to reinstall Windows and start over. In the long run, that's often the quickest way to get things fixed up, though. :)