Notebook battery life...

Gadgetman53Gadgetman53 Alabama, U.S.
edited March 2007 in Hardware
Do you guys have any suggestions on how to increase the lifespan of my Lenovo 3000 N100's Battery life? I have turned down the brightness on the display, but do you have any suggestions on third party software that lowers the clock of the processor and stuff like that? My laptop will only run for MAYBE 1 and a half hours on a full charge! It's more like 1 hour 20 minutes...

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Have you adjusted the "Power" profile in Windows?

When you wrote about 1hr, 20 min of run time, was that with the machine idle or with you using it?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Looks like you probably have a 6 cell battery, this particular laptop is supposed to be about 3 hours of battery life. You could try a battery calibration, or it could be a power setting hogging the life of the battery, basically running it maxed out for best performance instead of stepping down the speed and voltages increasing battery life.

Note: Specifications state 3 hours battery life, but this is the equivalent to Gas Mileage on a car, it depends on the user. If you get 1.5 hours of life while gaming, then that may be as good as it gets, but if all you're doing is browsing the web, then yeah you should be getting 2.5-3 hours.

Do you know if the system has some power management software? Like mine is called Powergear(which I doubt you use), it's probably got a small icon down in your system tray near where the time is displayed.
  • Gadgetman53Gadgetman53 Alabama, U.S.
    edited March 2007
    Lenovo's Thinkpads do have the power management software, but this one doesn't. All I'm doing is browsing the web and all too. So I SHOULD get that much life (2.5-3 hours) any suggestions?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    How long have you been using this notebook?

Batteries do just get old, and start to hold less charge as they age. I can't run my presario 2100 lappy without plugging it in anymore... Even with a full charge, the battery only lasts long enough to boot the computer up and tell me quickly that it is fearing for it's life before it shuts back down again. :( It's only 3-4 years old, and I don't really use it that much.

The only way to fix an old batery is to replace it, which is unfortunately expencive.

Battery technology just hasn't caught up with the power demands of modern devices...
  • Gadgetman53Gadgetman53 Alabama, U.S.
    edited March 2007
    I haven't even had this system for a year yet! I've only had it for about 8 months or so.
  • edited March 2007
    I undervolt my laptop CPU (Pentium-M Banias) using RMClock. The processor can run at 1.0v instead of 1.4v at 1.3GHz and 0.7v instead of 1.0v at 600MHz. This adds about 15minutes battery life and makes the CPU (also laptop) considerably cooler. Take a look at the following link if you are interested.
    http://www.nordichardware.com/Articles/?skrivelse=465

By the way, I get about 3.5 hours usage with a 6 cell 53 Whr battery. You seem to have a battery problem to me if 1 hour battery life is not for CPU intensive usage.