Registry Problems: Time Critical Emergency

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Over the course of my spring break at my parents' house, it's become apparent that their computer has a number of worms, virii, and registry problems, I did what I could to clean them up, but it was obvious from the start that the computer was dying. I expected to have at least a week or so to backup files, reformat the drive, and reinstall windows, but instead I woke up in the morning after the computer having worked fine the night before to discover that Windows was refusing to boot because of an error in c:\windows\system32\config\system. I found the Windows XP Professional install disk and attempted to fix it using the recovery program it includes, but to no avail as the instructions I followed to repair the files by copying them from the c:\windows\repair folder just resulted in the blue screen of death in response to an error with the hive. Somewhere in between, I managed to copy a handful of around a thousand files that I needed to backup to an external hard drive, but nowhere near enough since because of some perverse sense of sadism on Microsoft's part I cannot copy folders using the recovery program. Now, all of a sudden, I can't even access the folders on the computer that I need to to even halfheartedly and futilely attempt to copy the thousands of files I need one-by-one. I simply get an "Access is denied." response. This issue is of immense time critical importance as I'm leaving soon, and the files that I needed to backup before the computer is reformatted consist of my parents' tax information and photographs taken by my deceased photographer brother, which I doubt are stored elsewhere at the moment. If anybody could extend the hand of grace and rescue me from this hopeless predicament, I would be overjoyed. I should probably also note that my mother attempted to install windows xp again, so there are now two copies of windows xp on the same partition, only making matters worse. I think I'm going to go cry...

Hopelessly hoping for help,
Meursault

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2007
    I think the answer is what I've read on this superb forum before.
    Take the drive out and install a new one and put XP on it. Then connect the old drive up and you should be able to transfer the files you want from it.
    Other, more learned, replies will follow I'm sure but I think that's the way. If the files are that important it will be worth the (low) cost of another drive.
  • edited March 2007
    Would it be possible to install XP on the external drive, get it to boot off of that, and then transfer the files? And running XP off another drive WOULD circumnavigate this "Access is denied." bullcrap, right?

Thanks for the tip, I hope I can get that to work, at this point it's a safer and less troublesome bet to reformat and reinstall, I just need to get those damn files. :(
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure if it would work on the external. I'd just open the case, disconnect the drive, connect the new one and install windows, start from scratch. When that's done you will have, in effect, a new PC. Then connect the old drive back up and it should appear in windows explorer and you can get whatever you want off it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    bothered's suggestion is probably how I would do this.

xcopy [sourceDir] [targetDir] should let you copy directories
  • edited March 2007
    There are really just two problems with putting in another hard drive. The first is that I'm trying to do this without spending any money to avoid getting hassled by the parents, although I could probably talk my mom into it, but then the time factor comes into play. The second problem would be that I'm not really experienced at all with adding or removing drives from a box.

ADDENDUM:
    I gave xcopy a try earlier, no luck. I don't think it's included with Windows Recovery's scant handful of limited tools.
    edited March 2007
    Adding and/or removing a drive is probably one of the easiest (and quickest) things you can do to a PC and people here will give you all the help you may need. The time factor? well, better to make sure the files are safe. Depends how important they are I suppose. An hour or so with a new drive and all your files will be recovered.
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, it's just getting another drive that will be a time factor if that's the only route.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Depending on where you live, you might be able to pick up a IDE to USB converter (Newegg ide & SATA to USB converter) for less than $20. It is a GREAT tool to have for all sort of things. Take the bad hard drive and connect it to converter and plug it into a good system. Most of the file permissions should be released so you can copy all the necessary file off the hard drive.

Typically, c:\windows\system32\config\system errors are not worth repairing since the system is not stable after you repair from that error. After all your files are backed up, re-install Windows with a Full NTFS format (Not the quick Format).
  • edited March 2007
    Thank you all for your excellent advice. My oldest son built this computer a few years ago. We limited the use to those of us who didn't visit certain sites or get junk email. In other words, we always kept it "clean." Since this was our admin computer do to the size and speed capacities, it always made sense to limit use.

I am on my way to get another drive and an adapter cord (IDE to USB). My plan of attack is to pull the hard drive, reinstall the new drive, install windows on the new drive then attach the old drive. Hopefully at this point I will be able to pull what I need from the messed up drive. After that, I will wipe the messed up drive and we will use two drives with the computer, since my son built it so that the slots were available.

All of this in laymen's terms, please let me know if you have any further suggestions. I appreciate your help!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    please let me know if you have any further suggestions
    We indeed do. We need to get you set up so that in the future the computer does not again become a malware (virus, spyware, adware) repository. Please tell us what security software is currently installed, such as anti-virus, anti-adware, and firewall. We'll take a look at that recommend where to go from there. Don't tense up, now. Our recommendations most likely all be easy-to-maintain freeware!
  • edited March 2007
    Leonardo - Mersault took his computer with him to college. Normally, he only uses that one which is virus protected. The computer he was using while home was one my oldest built 3 years ago (150 gig monster at the time). Only my oldest son, myself and my other half ever used that computer. We know where not to go and the computer remained virus free with out virus software (we always did use Adaware and it was firewalled). We never used the computer for email. Anyhow, I think you get my drift... ;)

I bought a 300 gig hard drive and an updated video card. We have slots for two hard drives. We unplugged the "bad" hard drive and Windows is installing on the new hard drive as we speak. I am then going to make sure the new video card is up and running and set up virus software (Mc comes free with our internet provider) on the new drive. Then I'll unplug everything, re-open the box and plug in the drive and set up as master (new drive) and slave (old drive). I'll run virus software from the new to the old. Hopefully I will be able to reach the important pictures (there are many of us that will be heartbroken if we can't get to them). As soon as I get everything, I will reformat the old drive.

One thing I want to do is run two separate operating systems on each separate drive, so that when you boot up it asks you which system to use. That way we can keep my admin and important stuff sacred. Not sure if this is possible.

Thanks for your help.
    Leonardo wrote:
    We indeed do. We need to get you set up so that in the future the computer does not again become a malware (virus, spyware, adware) repository. Please tell us what security software is currently installed, such as anti-virus, anti-adware, and firewall. We'll take a look at that recommend where to go from there. Don't tense up, now. Our recommendations most likely all be easy-to-maintain freeware!