mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited May 2007 in Hardware
So I've got this Vista box and here are my scores:
Processor 4.8
RAM 5.4
Graphics Aero 3.2
Graphics Gaming 3.2
Hard Disk 5.4
When the warranty expires in about 11 months, I'll swap out the mobo so I can overclock this 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo 4300. So my real goal now is to look at adding a video card that would score up around the 5.4 range of the RAM. Right now it's just the integrated Intel 950 graphics. I'm not a gamer so don't need a big deal 8,000 FPS kinda card. I just want to add enough that the video card isn't the anchor dragging me down.

What kind of card do I have to look at to make that kind of jump?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    So I've got this Vista box and here are my scores:
    Processor 4.8
    RAM 5.4
    Graphics Aero 3.2
    Graphics Gaming 3.2
    Hard Disk 5.4
    When the warranty expires in about 11 months, I'll swap out the mobo so I can overclock this 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo 4300. So my real goal now is to look at adding a video card that would score up around the 5.4 range of the RAM. Right now it's just the integrated Intel 950 graphics. I'm not a gamer so don't need a big deal 8,000 FPS kinda card. I just want to add enough that the video card isn't the anchor dragging me down.

What kind of card do I have to look at to make that kind of jump?

Get this one for 27.99. But be quick, those are selling like hot cakes. I got one open-box as well, unlocked and overclocked, it is now as fast as a 6600GT.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122205R
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    Looks pretty interesting for the buck. I went to the site and didn't see Vista drivers though. I'm not a hardware guy.....any idea how that would compare to the integrated DX 10 thing I have?
  • edited March 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    Looks pretty interesting for the buck. I went to the site and didn't see Vista drivers though. I'm not a hardware guy.....any idea how that would compare to the integrated DX 10 thing I have?

You will just use the Nvidia VISTA drivers, it is a SM3.0 card as required by VISTA. It is not DX10 card but DX9 is sufficient for VISTA GUI and 3D performance of this card is much better than integrated graphics.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    What the heck. How bad could I get hurt for $33 w/ shipping? I'll let you know how it works.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    It'll run Aero.. Just not much else.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    If you don't like that card, once the Newegg special is over, you could always resell it for what you paid for it or even more. (eBay buyers and Craigslist customers seem to pay ridiculous prices for low tech.) Of course, you could also just store in your parts bin as a spare or emergency video card.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    TBH the 6200 Card will not game worth beans and as Thrax stated it will run Aero... that’s about it. To be honest with you the 6200 even OC'ed and Unlocked might give you .6 more points giving you a massive 3.8 :(

I am not sure what the heck your talking about with an integrated DX10 chip? the only chips on the market with DX10 are on AMD 690 motherboards and or Nvidia's 8 series GPU's
  • edited March 2007
    Check out the following link which gives the current status of graphics cards used for running the Steam Engine (Half Life 2, Counter Strike, etc.)

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Top five are the followings. People are playing games with such cards.
    Video Card Description
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 101,681 8.73 % #########
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 66,597 5.72 % ######
    ATI Radeon 9600 64,727 5.56 % ######
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 55,882 4.80 % #####
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 50,432 4.33 % ####
    edited March 2007
    Translation: CS players are kiddiez between the ages of 13 and 19 (Essentially) that can't afford real hardware.
    edited March 2007
    mirage wrote:
    Check out the following link which gives the current status of graphics cards used for running the Steam Engine (Half Life 2, Counter Strike, etc.)

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Top five are the followings. People are playing games with such cards.
    Video Card Description
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 101,681 8.73 % #########
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 66,597 5.72 % ######
    ATI Radeon 9600 64,727 5.56 % ######
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 55,882 4.80 % #####
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 50,432 4.33 % ####

A 5200 and a 9600 would push frame rates that would be hardly playable at 1024 x 768 let alone a higher resoultion than that. TBH your looking at 20% of gamers in the above numbers posted. Lets look at the mid 50% range and see where they are at :)
  • edited March 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Translation: CS players are kiddiez between the ages of 13 and 19 (Essentially) that can't afford real hardware.

I am a 40 year old professional and can not afford "real hardware" because of family priorities, where do I fit in your translation then :nudge: Welcome to real America.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    mtrox,
    I wouldn't spend much. In a couple of months there will be low end DX10 cards out. Start saving up, $75 will get you a card that will let you enjoy your computer.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    I am not sure what the heck your talking about with an integrated DX10 chip? the only chips on the market with DX10 are on AMD 690 motherboards and or Nvidia's 8 series GPU's

Sledge I'd be the first to tell you that I don't know what I'm talking about here. It's the Intel 82945G chipset with the 950 GMA graphics. If I look that up on the Intel site, it talks about DX 9. If I bring up dxdiag, it says DX 10 as does the box manufacturer's site.
    To be honest with you the 6200 even OC'ed and Unlocked might give you .6 more points giving you a massive 3.8
    Really? It's not worth pulling the box out from between the wall and the desk for that kind of difference. I'd like to get up over 5 any way or its not really worth the trouble. If you're that sure Sledge I'll just put it on eBay when it gets here.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited March 2007
    Listen to Sledge, that 6200 isn't any better than the 950 GMA.

Your graphics chip only supports DX9 features, but Windows Vista runs DX10. This means your chip isn't opmtimized to run DX10, but it will run it.
  • edited March 2007
    Madball wrote:
    Listen to Sledge, that 6200 isn't any better than the 950 GMA.

Your graphics chip only supports DX9 features, but Windows Vista runs DX10. This means your chip isn't opmtimized to run DX10, but it will run it.

Here is the link that compares 6200TC and GMA950. And, below is the screenshot of this particular 6200's (not TC + 128 bit) results. I see no difference neither, do you? Anyway, I am out of here :rolleyes2

PS: Mtrox, just a hint: you can reject the package and it goes back to Newegg without any restocking fee.
    edited March 2007
    LOL, I am an idiot... In my response I completely forgot you had Vista... hence why it is say's DX10 :) but yes the difference will be a bit better but not a 5.0 my 7400 card scores a 3.6 & my 7600 scores a 4.2 to put it in perspective... a 6200 is slower than my 7400... :(
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    Now I'm really confused. Madball says,
    Madball wrote:
    Listen to Sledge

Then Sledge says,
    ...I am an idiot...

Seriously,

Just got my tracking number. I'll put it on eBay and make a couple bucks. God buyers there are dumb.

So........back to the quesiton. What would it take for me to get my video card up in the 5.4 range?
    edited March 2007
    My 8800GTS get a 5.9. My 7950GX2 got a 5.6 or 7. You'd probably need a 7950GT, X1950XT or something similar. Prepare to pay $2-300 or so.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    Thanks. Is there any kinda "TomsHardware" kinda site you trust that ranks them at all? I was hoping to be south of $200.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    Sorry Thrax, got off my a-- and did some Googling. I'm not going to be in the mid 5's with a $200 ceiling am I?
    edited March 2007
    You might get there with an X1950 Pro, but you'd have to look around. I'm not sure what kind of rating that'll dredge up.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    Shoot I'm not even sure why I'm trying to do this. I'm not a gamer....I've just got this low number on my screen and I want to waste money.....probably overcompensating for my small.......nevermind. TMI.
    edited March 2007
    The X1950 has shown some lower numbers in Vista with ATI's drivers. I am not to sure I would go with that pick, but than again you can easily find a 7900 series card in the $200 range. "If you can find one"
    edited March 2007
    Of course you wouldn't go with an ATI pick. ;)
    edited March 2007
    Well... ATI has been causing issues in Vista, this is an apparent issue seen all over.

Just trying to say a headache.
    edited March 2007
    And nVidia's drivers are even worse.

/me shrugs

Vista blows ass.
    edited March 2007
    Actually the Nvidia drivers for a non DX10 card work flawlessly in Vista... If he is staying with a DX9 card than he has no problems and as he said he isn't a gamer, hence that is where the issues are with the Nvidia drivers, ATI has issues all over the place. I guess thats what they get to say they were the first ones out with Vista drivers.
    edited March 2007
    I think we have different ideas of "Flawlessly." ;D
    edited March 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I think we have different ideas of "Flawlessly." ;D
    Well I will agree the drivers for DX10 hardware in Vista are ASS...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    mtrox, If I were in your position (and I am, non-gamer but like high resolution on large monitor) I would wait. Most of my machines have passable cards in them. My wife's machine needs an upgrade, but I will wait for <$200 DX10 and HDCP.