2 CPU's Folding - Both Reporting - 1 CPU Showing?

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited March 2007 in Folding@Home
Okay the issue, since I have reformatted my farms a fresh they have been folding at what seems to be a slower pace along with only reporting 1 CPU when 2 are folding.

I have 15 PC's pushing Pent 4 3.6Ghz CPU's at 100% EM3 shows all the Processors folding away and submitting points, but it seems like half of those points never get recorded and those 2nd CPU are not counted? I have no idea what is going on. I have tried reinstalled F@H 3 times now; each computer has 2 separate folders with each system folding 1 instance for Core id 1 and the other on Core id 2... is there something I am missing? My point production has suffered dramatically and I would like to get back in the top 10 folders of SM dang it~!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Also one thing I notcied is that my user name and team info are the same under each PC but the USER ID is off on a few of them. my main PC which hasn't been reformatted says my user ID is 28FB91A62264BA4C the other 14 PC's say 2769DD2D64C94EAD ... does that matter at all?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Sledge, does each client's config.sys file show a different machine ID? For each computer, each client must have a different machine ID, such as '1' and '2'. That's only for each computer. Spanning multiple computers it doesn't matter of the numbers repeat themselves, just not for any single machine.
    user ID is 28FB91A62264BA4C the other 14 PC's say 2769DD2D64C94EAD ... does that matter at all?
    I don't know about that.
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Sledge, does each client's config.sys file show a different machine ID? For each computer, each client must have a different machine ID, such as '1' and '2'. That's only for each computer. Spanning multiple computers it doesn't matter of the numbers repeat themselves, just not for any single machine. I don't know about that.

Yes when I said core ID I meant Machine ID my bad :)
    [23:00:11] - Ask before connecting: No
    [23:00:11] - User name: sledgehammer70 (Team 93)
    [23:00:11] - User ID: 2769DD2D64C94EAD
    [23:00:11] - Machine ID: 1
    [23:00:11] - Ask before connecting: No
    [23:00:11] - User name: sledgehammer70 (Team 93)
    [23:00:11] - User ID: 2769DD2D64C94EAD
    [23:00:11] - Machine ID: 2
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited March 2007
    my main PC which hasn't been reformatted says my user ID is 28FB91A62264BA4C the other 14 PC's say 2769DD2D64C94EAD ... does that matter at all?

YES it matters!!! The rule is that each machine has to have its own User ID, and in case of a dual core, with Machine ID 1 and 2.

So in your case that would mean you need 15 different User IDs (it has nothing to do with your User name) and 2 Machine IDs each (1 and 2, of course).

At your present setup, all the other 14 machines are doing redundant work of each other, in case the WU is the same, and no credit is given in that case.

If you are folding on Windows only, then delete all those 14 machine´s User IDs (from within REGEDIT) and let them regenerate again when relaunching the clients.

Hope it helps!
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2007
    The user ID is nothing to do with your team or user name it is to allow stanford to identify how many discrete machines are folding.
    edited March 2007
    YES it matters!!! The rule is that each machine has to have its own User ID, and in case of a dual core, with Machine ID 1 and 2.

So in your case that would mean you need 15 different User IDs (it has nothing to do with your User name) and 2 Machine IDs each (1 and 2, of course).

At your present setup, all the other 14 machines are doing redundant work of each other, in case the WU is the same, and no credit is given in that case.

If you are folding on Windows only, then delete all those 14 machine´s User IDs (from within REGEDIT) and let them regenerate again when relaunching the clients.

Hope it helps!

YGPM
    edited March 2007
    Not wanting to teach grandma to suck eggs this is a classic symptom of the -local flag not being in place on both instances of the client.
    edited March 2007
    thanks to Ultra Nexus I think my farm is back online at 100%
    edited March 2007
    First off, I apologize if I gave bad advice.

Now, here are some questions pertaining to "User ID". I thought User ID was a unique number automatically generated through the configuration setup for each computer on which Folding is setup. If I look at client.cfg for the machine I typing on now (single core, laptop) it shows the flag "-local" already set. I never entered that setting - it was set automatically. Under what circumstances must "-local" be set? As I wrote above, apparently local can be automatically set by the initial configuration.
    edited March 2007
    -local is only set automatically if you set it to run as a service. dual core machine's esp HT enabled ones really should have the local flag, only instance i wouldn't use it in is for Mac or Linux SMP client.
    edited March 2007
    My problem was the hard drives were imaged off a base drive which had F@H already installed and they had run already, allowing them to obtain a User ID from F@H servers. This User ID was than carreid over for all the PC's making each PC reg the same to the server thus not counting the work each one was doing under its own CPU. Inturn it was reporting the same thing over and over again.

By clearing the RegEDIT it allowed the F@H program to request a new ID and each computer will show as itself rather than the same one.

No matter what setup you have on a certain PC single core, dual core or quad core, that PC will have 1 User ID and than it will break it down by Machine ID "ie. 1,2,3,4 etc.." Now that I have that sorted my machines points will all count and they should all register :)
    edited March 2007
    Oh, OK Sledge, that explains it then. Sorry about the wasted time and electricity for all those duplicate units. I was wondering why you the wake of your passing boat hadn't swamped. I am now watching out for your ship to overtake mine.
    -local is only set automatically if you set it to run as a service.
    Minor variation with my machines, all of them except my laptop are dual core, each with two clients running. I run the console F@H client version for each core. Each core-client automatically set the local flag. I do not have any of the clients set as a service, rather I placed a shortcut to each client's startup .exe file in the Windows STARTUP file (documents and settings). Same thing essentially, just another route to it. I use TrayIt! to minimize the Folding windows to the tray.