What motherboard/cpu combo?

soothsayersoothsayer CT., USA
edited March 2007 in Hardware
I'm shopping for a new motherboard/cpu combo. My needs are not gaming but Home Theater (HDTV, DVD and music from harddrives). Currently have an Asus P4G8X DELUXE/P4 2.53 cpu, 1G DDR, 2Terrabytes HD's, ATI 9800 pro, ATI HDTV wonder tuner. My current setup sucks when I try to copy HDTV content to the HD. I'm having freeze-release video problems with HDTV. My audio is in ape format and I love it. I've been looking at the different motherboards not knowing what the difference is between socket 478, 775, etc.:confused:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Socket 478 is only for P4 generation Intel processors. Socket 775 supports P4 (single core) processors as well as dual core - D8xx, D9xx, and Core 2 Duo. I just have no experience with the tasks you need a computer to perform. I'll let someone else help you with a tentative computer configuration. I know this much though - you're going to need more than a motherboard and CPU upgrade. Your video card rather dated and you could probably use a RAM increase. But then, we'll let the videophiles and home theater PC experts advise you.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited March 2007
    Hello,
    When you get your new rig let me know. I'm looking to upgrade on the cheap till I have the $ for the system I want.If you are interested in selling some components.
  • soothsayersoothsayer CT., USA
    edited March 2007
    I'm getting the idea, I want to be able to do dual cpu's. I don't think that what I do is as demanding as a gamers setup but I get the sense that it's all about the video card and the memory for HDTV.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Well for HDTV your going to need a GPU that supports HDCP... which is a small amount as of now. ATI's X1900 series and Nvidia 7950 series and 8 series will do the job, just make sure they say it supports HDCP. I would say a low end Core 2 Duo "E6300, E6400" would fit your needs perfectly. Also ASUS has some nice setups for HT setups, with built on wireless and tons of audio options. I mean a home Home Theater setup is pretty basic in all Windows Media Center with 1 GB of ram a good CPU and nice GPU with HDCP support is all you need. you already have the HD setup :)