Upgrading Processor, Limited by Mobo?

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hi everyone, I just started here because I realized recently that I'm being sucked into the world of computers and their high-capabilities...yeah.

Anyway, I'm running a Dell 4600 (don't remind me), and I recently upgraded my RAM (1.2g), power supply (500w), and graphics (nVidia 7800). The stock Mobo remains, as well as the Pentium 4, 2.4ghz processor. However, after some contemplation, I wanted to upgrade my processor to Pentium D.

After some thinking, I realized that my current Mobo may be incompatible with any Pentium D processor. My question here: will a stock motherboard in a Dell 4600 be able to run a Pentium C processor?

Thanks for help!

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2007
    After a quick google thats a 478 board with a Intel 865G chipset.

That board should support S478 C chips (Northwood) and mabey S478 E (Prescott) with a bios update.

You will need a new motherboard if you want to use a Pentium D. (Some thing LGA 775 *AKA socket T*)

edit: Btw some of the dells have proprietary psu's you should make sure yours doesn't if you plan on changing the board. (The only way I know how to do this is use a multi meter and make sure all the voltages are right for each pin. You might beable to find out with Google as well.)

edit: Also your probably gonna have a hard time finding a socket T board with agp. (Its all about pci express now).
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    edit: Btw some of the dells have proprietary psu's you should make sure yours doesn't if you plan on changing the board. (The only way I know how to do this is use a multi meter and make sure all the voltages are right for each pin. You might beable to find out with Google as well.)

I think this would work.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2007
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I think this would work.

Thats for ones far older then his machine. (p2/p3 era)
  • edited March 2007
    Hello,

My name is Richard; I work for Dell here in Round Rock, Texas<ST1:p</ST1:p. You posted a question about your Dimension 4600, which I will try to answer for you. Your system would be unable to function with an Intel Pentium D processor as the motherboard does not have the correct chipset to work with it.

<O:p</O:pThe Dimension 4600 did not offer the Pentium C processor with it, so it has not been properly tested for compatibility. However, your system does support 800MHz front side bus and Hyper-Threading. It is possible that the Pentium C may work in your Dimension. Keep in mind that Hyper-Threading is only available for processors 3 GHz and up.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

Another option for you is to just upgrade the current processor version with a faster one. You most likely have a Pentium 4 (Northwood) in you computer which has versions up to 3.4 GHz. Be aware that you would need to install a better heatsink than the current one you have on your CPU.<O:p</O:p

Dell does not support upgrading and thus the information I provided can only be used as a reference. Dell can not be responsible for damage resulting from you modifying your computer. Make sure that wherever you buy the CPU there is a refund option, in case the part does not work.
    I hope that this assists you with your question.<O:p</O:p

Best regards,<O:p</O:p
    Richard B<O:p</O:p
    Dell Online Community Outreach<O:p</O:p
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Keep in mind that Hyper-Threading is only available for processors 3 GHz and up.
    Actually they also offer 2.8GHz CPU's with HT :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    In my opinion, upgrading from a Pentium IV 2.4 to another, higher-clocked Pentium IV really wouldn't be worth your while unless you could find a 3.2 or 3.4 for a very, very low price. You just wouldn't see that much difference in performance. Hyperthreading (P4C Northwoods) won't accomplish much unless your are heavily multitasking, and the increased CPU clock really wouldn't make a big performance increase. If I were you, I'd start saving for a new system. Many of the components in your current computer you could swap over to a new build.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    If you look on the Dell web site at BIOS updates for your machine you might find the answer. They may say that a new BIOS 'provides support for CPU xxxxxx'.

My opinion is don't bother. Even if you could get a Prescott cheap they run very hot and are not much faster.
    Save your money and start planning on building yourself a Core2Duo box. You will need a video card, mobo, CPU, and memory. Your drives and PSU should swap over fine. (you will need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows)