Points Per Day: Windows SMP

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Csimon, do you have Microsoft .net framework 2.0 installed? It's necessary for SMP. You might try reinstalling it. Also, turn off any software firewalls and see if that helps.

FreeC - sorry, no clue to your problem. FX62 is dual core, right?
    Yes .net framework 2.0 is installed. Firewalls are off. Don;t know anything about FX62 but I think it's dual core.

I can't even uninstall the SMP client. shucks! How many clients should I run if/when I get it running?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Do you have a password set for the account under which SMP will run?

Only one client, which divides the work for a single molecule model between two cores.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Ya its dual core, just can't figure out why it keeps ending units early. I'm gonna try re-setting it up to see if it will work.
    edited March 2007
    Ya its dual core, just can't figure out why it keeps ending units early
    Bad work units (this is beta), or your CPU is overheating.

I'm having some troubles of my own on this laptop. The first WU, a 2652 just sat there, not processing. It just stayed at "Completed 0 out of 500000 steps (0 percent)" for nearly two hours. I assumed it was a bad unit, as the laptop's exhaust wasn't even hot.

This second WU I loaded doesn't seem to be heating the CPU cores either, but Windows Task Manger shows nearly 100% CPU utilization for the WU's four threads. Weird, maybe this just wasn't meant to be on a laptop. Before I loaded this WU, I went into the BIOS and turned of Speed Step, thinking that maybe the CPU went into a power saving mode during the first, failed WU processing.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    p2610 and kentsfield@3.6GHz :wtf:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2007
    Ugh you guys just added another reason to upgrade, would have to be a complete new machine tho...
    edited March 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    I remember seeing somewhere while I was setting up the SMP client that it would only work if you had a password on the user account it was to run under.

EDIT: "<i>NOTE: The account under which the client runs MUST have a password. Blank passwords will cause the FAH cores to fail.</i>" from here

I usually don't password my accounts at home so I created one and used Tweak UI to login automatically on boot.
    Thanks I'll try adding the pass and see if that helps ...but I really want to figure out how to uninstall it first. That bugs me that the uninstaller is not working for me.
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Do you have a password set for the account under which SMP will run?

Only one client, which divides the work for a single molecule model between two cores.
    All I need is one client running? Does it work as a service?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    lsevald wrote:
    p2610 and kentsfield@3.6GHz :wtf:
    That's effing nuts! :eek2:
    csimon wrote:
    All I need is one client running? Does it work as a service?

Just one client - it runs four instances of the Folding core and apportions them to your processors. It doesn't work as a service at this time. I've been using TrayIt to stash it in the system tray.
    edited March 2007
    Anyone know the address to the community forum where I could report the uninstall bug?
    edited March 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    Thanks Spike ...I've posted.
  • edited March 2007
    I am in the second position in average daily production today. I might never see this again, so I took a snapshot. See :bigggrin:
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited March 2007
    Excuse me for being kinda off-topic, but how do you get FahMon to show PPD? :confused:
    edited March 2007
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Excuse me for being kinda off-topic, but how do you get FahMon to show PPD? :confused:

It looks like a new version is out (2.1.5b.6) that might do it automatically. But what I did for the previous version (2.1.5b.5) on that page was have FahMon download the core info, then point to the custom HTML file as directed here.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Look for qchTEST01 & qchTEST02. That's my AMD 3800+ Athlon 64 X2 running on two instances of the normal F@H. I'll run them for a week then turn them off and run the SMP for a week. We'll see what that produces.
    edited March 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Look for qchTEST01 & qchTEST02. That's my AMD 3800+ Athlon 64 X2 running on two instances of the normal F@H. I'll run them for a week then turn them off and run the SMP for a week. We'll see what that produces.

Good idea :thumbsup:
    edited March 2007
    Well I got the client working fine now thanks to the password/tweakui advice. Still won't uninstall even with community advice so I may be screwed when it comes time to upgrade/update the client.
    edited March 2007
    CSimon, try uninstalling with MyUninstaller, followed by a pass of RegScrubXP to remove stray registry entries. I use both of these freeware programs frequently. The are both excellent.
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    CSimon, try uninstalling with MyUninstaller, followed by a pass of RegScrubXP to remove stray registry entries. I use both of these freeware programs frequently. The are both excellent.

Thanks Leo ...I've downloaded them both and as soon as I complete my first smp wu I'll try it out.:bigggrin:
  • edited March 2007
    Just an update. My 3.06GHz(HT) 533FSB single-core Xeon met the deadline of P2652 and received a P2651 next. Based on the first several frames, it seems like P2651 will also meet the deadline (4 days). P2610 is unknown yet.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Mine keeps failing on the Fa1 core... gets to 8 frames and well starts over :( I tired flipping the HT off and still get the same problem...
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Mine keeps failing on the Fa1 core... gets to 8 frames and well starts over :( I tired flipping the HT off and still get the same problem...

Same thing on my FX cpu, sledge. I reset the SMP from the installer and am about 10 frames away from completing my first WU with SMP. Maybe this will work for you too?
  • edited March 2007

My HT is on and it does not create any trouble. Actually, I think it helps with performance. I initially tend to suspect hardware stability, but you would have noticed this with other applications. There should be something else ... :scratch:
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2007
    Is 662 PPD usual for 2652. That's what i'm seing in my stats.
    edited March 2007
    662PPD usual for what CPU and DRAM configuration? In addition to our stats in this thread, you should also check out SMP production thread at Folding-Community.org.
    edited March 2007
    PPD is way nice!

I stoppped the client and restarted just after this post and lost all 92% of the work. No idea if I got credit so just a headsup warning ...be very careful this is beta.
    ppd.JPG 34.1K
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    662PPD usual for what CPU and DRAM configuration? In addition to our stats in this thread, you should also check out SMP production thread at Folding-Community.org.

Will do, thanks for the tip. :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    I have installed SMP and it appears to be running, both cores @100%. FahMon is also working but is not showing any progress after 10 mins, impatience, but my 'old' folding was doing a frame in 10 mins. I'll give it longer and see. I don't like how it minimizes to the taskbar, I'll have to make sure nobody turns it off and I wish it would run as a service. Still, we shall see how it goes, early days.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    Looks like a healthy WU, sir bothered. With that new rig you have, it should take about 17 minutes plus or minus some change to do a frame on that project. If isn't going anywhere in about an hour, post the entire fahlog- we'll get you going.

You can try TrayIt if the minimization to the Taskbar troubles you.