Metal Gear Box Substance power supply

edited August 2009 in Hardware
I have a USB2/SATA Metal Gear Box Substance external HD case but need an additional power supply. I've tried to find the part number online but it's been a no-go. Anyone have an idea where to get one?

Here are the specs that are listed on the power supply.

Put Powertech, Inc.
Switching Adapter
Model: PPS25A-D0(00A)
AC Input: 100-240v - .6A
DC Output: +5V---1.5A
+12V---1.5A

Any help is appreciated. I guess I could simply purchase another, but then that's a pricey power cord...

Thanks!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Take your power supply to Radio Shack. They might be able to find an equivalent for you.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Take your power supply to Radio Shack. They might be able to find an equivalent for you.

bundleqp1.jpg

above is an image of it from techimo

Good idea but probably unlikely :(.

SkyDiver You might be better off contacting the manufacturer and trying to get a replacement psu.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    They are both very standard voltages, but you would need to use two separate ones if go DIY.
    You could build a little breadboard. I am sure that you can get both voltages out of one dual wound transformer and just slap a couple of diodes on them.
  • edited April 2007
    Pickup replacement supplies here...http://ebuyerhq.stores.yahoo.net/12vopoad.html
    edited April 2007
    Toscano, I believed the linked power supply would work. When you factor in shipping charges though, I think he could come close to getting a new external enclosure for that price.

Hmm, maybe not the Metal Gear brand. They are very nice - rugged, easy to use, designed to be opened frequently, and aluminum case that vents heat away very nicely. I've got one and have used it for years, but for some reason it won't accept large capacity Seagate drives...

but that's another topic for another thread.
  • lhrbhblhrbhb Germantown, TN
    edited April 2007
    Toscano wrote:
    Pickup replacement supplies here...http://ebuyerhq.stores.yahoo.net/12vopoad.html

Thanks for this link! I just ordered my replacement part. I really like the Metal Gear Box enclosure but I had an unfortunate experience with eGoodz. I ordered two of their enclosures and everything came in the box except these power supplies. In their stead were regular old three prong power cables. Of course there is no way to use them alone with the enclosure. I called their customer service reps and after three or four conversations I finally convinced them I was not trying to get something for nothing. I don't think they believed me at first. Over a month later and I got a package in today's mail. They sent me *one* of the two I asked for. So rather than go through all of that again, I did a Google search which put me right on this thread. Thanks a lot!
    edited April 2007
    Over a month later and I got a package in today's mail. They sent me *one* of the two I asked for.
    Which tells me that the company is:

a) dishonest
    b) disorganizied
    c) lacks moral leadership
    d) has incompetent leadership, or
    e) all the above
    I had an unfortunate experience with eGoodz
    Unfortunate? No, I'd say your experience with those baffoons (creeps) was on par for their typical service, at least according to reselleratings.com.

Gentlemen, whenever you deal with a little-known company online, do yourself a GREAT service and check them out first at Resellerratings. It might very well save you a lot of heartache. There are many sterling, honorable online sellers, but there are also thousands of schlocks and losers just waiting to rip you off.

It's a dangerous thing purchasing from a seller merely because some price check service lists them as "lowest price." All to often the lowest price is lowest for a reason.
  • edited May 2007
    I purchased a Metal Gear Box enclosure thru Egoodz as well. The supply went south on me and they did replace it under warranty a couple of weeks later. A bit of a hassle but they did come thru. I'll probably go thru Newegg next time I order an enclosure.
  • edited June 2007
    Thanks this is just what I needed ;)
  • edited August 2009
    lhrbhb wrote:
    Thanks for this link! I just ordered my replacement part. I really like the Metal Gear Box enclosure

I need the same switching adapter. Did the one you ordered online work with your Metal Gear Box enclosure? http://icrontic.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

Thanks.
  • Update. My power supply from eBuyer.com was delivered without problem and lasted until today. Today I ordered another one (actually another 2 because I have 2 Metal Gear boxes both of which have failed power supplies). The drives are great, they keep on working (for me) but the power supplies die regularly within 2-3 years. eBuyer.com had a special when I went to their web site today, about $10 off. And... they charged the same price to ship two as for one!