SMP Windows On Laptops with Intel SpeedStep

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited March 2007 in Folding@Home
Previously, my laptop, Dell Inspiron E1405, C2D, T2400, 1830MHz/core, 1GB DDR2 performed very well with two clients running Folding@Home (standard cores). I switched to SMP Windows and observed some strange activity by SpeedStep, the Intel programming that throttles a CPU up to 50% to preserve battery strength and save energy.

The problem was that even when SMP Folding was utilizing the processing power of both cores at near 100%, after folding for an hour or two, the CPU would throttle down to 50% clock rate, effectively stalling SMP Folding. I tried several different BIOS settings for both SpeedStep and C-State settings, all to no avail. If I did not have something running on the laptop in addition to SMP Folding, the CPU core speed would drop to 50%. And yes, I am referring to running on AC power.

Solution: They only way I was able to get around this was to set the screensaver to come on when I am not using the laptop. This way, SpeedStep does not force 50% core clock, and the computer Folding will continue to supported by 100% CPU utilization.

The monitoring tools I used track CPU utilization and laptop Folding production are FAHMon and CPU Z. I would encourage all C2D laptop SMP Folders to closely monitor their laptop's CPU frequency and Folding production.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Good find, Leo!!!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Supposedly SpeedStep operations (coding) is included in Windows XP, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Maybe that would explain why this laptop throttles down regardless of the settings in the BIOS. (throttles down, unless the screensaver is on)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    IBM has the actual Speedstep application in the notification area. It allows some changes to how Speedstep works.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Hey Leo I haven't seen any problems with my laptop thus far. But I turned on the screensaver just incase... you never know it could eb the reason why the WU's keep failing.