Windows XP - sudden reboots

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hi.

I've had problems where my PC (laptop) will freeze up, quickly display a blue screen with a load of white text on and then reboot. I have no idea what all the text says, as the screen appears for no more than a second.

After this happened a few times, and several malware programs detected nothing, I looked into the possibility that there may be a problem with my hard-drive.

I have a Toshiba HDD, and brilliantly they don't actually do their own HDD diagnostic software, but I saw somewhere that the program made for Hitachi HDD's will do the job.

So I've run the Hitachi DFT, and when I finished the full scan, it came up with the following message:

'Problem detected on a non Hitachi disk drive. Please contract your HDD supplier for additional support. Disposition code = 0x72'

Does anybody know what this means?

Thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    It could be a failing hard drive. It could also be a failing power supply. Before you do anything, I would back up all the data on that drive that you consider to be important. After you've done that, run Windows' Checkdisk utility. You may have a bad sector that can't be read correctly. So, you are sure Toshiba doesn't have some type of hard drive diagnostic utility?
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    So, you are sure Toshiba doesn't have some type of hard drive diagnostic utility?

Yea I don't know if you've been on 'em much Leonardo but Toshiba's are strange. They have a lot of resource hogging proprietary software (I seem to remember a power management utility that...well....takes a lot of power) but no HD diag utility.
  • edited March 2007
    I've used the Windows checkdisk, which found nothing.

I'm guessing that my hard-drive has a problem, but not being an expert I couldn't say what.

I've just reinstalled Windows this evening to see if that cleaned anything up, and the PC is unsurprisingly running a lot faster, but the Hitachi DFT still detects a problem.

Incidentally, now my Wireless router won't connect to the internet (although my PC connects to the wireless network). I'm having to use an Ethernet cable. Don't know what's happened there.......I really shouldn't fiddle with things...

EDIT: My HDD is split into 2 partitions (factory default), partition 1 is C:/, where all the OS stuff is stored, and partition 2 is D:/, where I put all my stuff.

I'm fairly certain that the problem lies somewhere in D:/ (as when I tried to back up some stuff onto DVD from D:/, the burn failed, and when the disk consistency check ran, the only files with problems were on D:/).

So, is there any chance re-formatting D:/ is possible, and is it at all likely that this would have any effect at all?