copying a hard drive

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Does anyone know an easy way to copy an entire hard drive to a larger hard drive?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Acronis True Image.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Is your intention to be able to "copy" to the new drive, install the new hard drive as your primary drive, and to immediately start using the computer? If yes, Thrax recommendation above is right on the money. If your intention is just to copy over data, there is freeware that will do that.
  • edited March 2007
    my intention is to make the new hard drive the primary drive
    edited March 2007
    Get Acronis and image your current drive. All you have to do after imaging is install the new drive as the primary in the computer and presto, you are up and running. It is not freeware, but you will not regret owning Acronis. You will then be set for accurate, thorough computer backups for the life of your computer. (Don't know if the current Acronis True Image works with Vista.)
  • edited March 2007
    thanx for the advice.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Acronis True Image 9.1 works on Vista for me...
  • edited March 2007
    NOTE I'm using Windows XP sp2
    edited March 2007
    Yes fine. So am I, and I use Acronis on a weekly basis for five machines.