Damn 7800gs is so damn loud!

VagrantxVagrantx San Francisco, CA
edited March 2007 in Hardware
Just got this card today and man is it loud. I upgraded from a 9800pro and the bfg 7800gs oc is twice as loud maybe three times as loud.. I was surprise when i first installed the card before installing the driver; it sounded like a hairdryer. It idle very loud and cranks up a few more levels when I'm gaming... Is this normal or is there something wrong with the card?

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Wow, the 7 series and even 8 series are normally pretty quite cards, you might have a bad fan on that new card :(
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2007
    I don't have that brand of card, just the standard nVidia 7800GS. I don't notice it being any louder than my old 9800 Pro, then again, I have 8 fans in the case so it sounds like a Harrier jump-jet at the best of times.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2007
    Wow, the 7 series and even 8 series are normally pretty quite cards, you might have a bad fan on that new card :(

Ive own both a BFG 7600GT OC and a ASUS 7900 GT TOP.

Both have the loudest graphics card coolers ive ever heard. Ati's stock coolers are much much much much quieter on the radeon 7500, 9500pro, 9800pro, 9600 pro, X800 pro, X800XTPE, X1950 pro (Basicly ever ati card ive ever owned).

edit: Im replacing the cooler with a zalman solution sometime soon.
    edited March 2007
    I have had EvGA, XFX, BFG, Albatron, Leaktek, Fusion & Foxcon series cards ranging from 7600's to 7950's all of them being whisper quite... If I was to say any of them were loud it was the 7900GT I had from BFG and that’s because it made popping noises as it fried...
  • VagrantxVagrantx San Francisco, CA
    edited March 2007
    Could it be a driver problem I'm experiencing, because sometimes when I'm watching a streaming video on winamp the fan would spike to same loudness as when I'm playing games, also is the card suppose to steadily increase its speed as the temperture increase because as far as I know my card only has two setting regular loud and gaming loud.

- I'm currently using the newest driver v93.71
    edited March 2007
    How hot is the card running?

I mean over the last 1 1/2 years I have had many 7 series cards, and each one has always been whisper quite for me, I mean I had to get on my knees and open the case and touch where the fan is to make sure it was on, it was so quite.

When I setup my first watercooled system I kept the 7800GTX's stock because they were quite. Same with a few builds I did with 7900GT's.
    edited March 2007
    my card idles at 38c and when I'm playing cs it's at 40c
    edited March 2007
    Well thats not hot at all... makes me wonder if BFG makes their cards with louder fans...?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Leaktek,
    Ah, that must be a water cooled solution!
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone here have a BFG 7800gs oc and is experiencing the same problem?
    edited March 2007
    Purchase a Zalman video card cooler for it. That should cut the noise right away.
    edited March 2007
    Seem to me there's no after market cooling made for the 7800gs agp version. Some people recommended me using the RivaTuner to lower the 2d fan speed, and so I did, I lowered the 2d fan speed by 10 percent and it made a noticeable difference but the idle temp. has gone up to 40-41c. Is that ok?
    edited March 2007
    40-41*C for a video card's GPU is no problem at all. It should run well all the way up to 65*C, and perhaps even higher.

If you have not done so already, consider removing the heatsink and applying quality thermal paste, such as Arctic Silver 5 or Zalman's silver based paste. (I use them both - they perform about the same, but the Zalman is much easier to apply.)

If you apply the compound correctly, you should be able to lower the temperatures even more, then you could lower the fan speed some more.
    edited March 2007
    The 7800 and 7900 cards have a high temp threshold of around 95C to 115C depending on the card...