Should I upgrade my ram?

VagrantxVagrantx San Francisco, CA
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hello, I'm planning to upgrade me cpu soon. I'm currently using a P4 2.4and is planning to upgrade to p4 sl7ch. Should I also, upgrade my ram? I'm currently using ddr333. Would I notice a performance boost if I had switched?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    It all depends...

What all do you do with your computer? Do you do a lot of multitasking? Games? Video editing? What are your computer's specifications?

motherboard brand and model ______
    video card " "
    hard drive " "
    current DRAM, quantity
  • VagrantxVagrantx San Francisco, CA
    edited March 2007
    Mostly gaming

Asus P4P800-E
    7800gs
    2x200gb ata100
    pc2700 1gb
  • buononutbuononut Michigan
    edited June 2007
    Your board is capable of handling up to 4GB of RAM (which makes my board jealous). Plus, it can handle higher bus speeds than what you have now, too.
    I think 2GB of PC3200 RAM would be a help, yes.
    It does come down to $$ however.
  • edited June 2007
    Some ddr400 or even higher would give you some performance. For gaming 2gb is recommended
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    I would keep the ram you currently have and add in another gig or two of faster ram. It will clock down to your slower ram. More ram > faster ram.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    I would keep the ram you currently have and add in another gig or two of faster ram. It will clock down to your slower ram. More ram > faster ram.

Agreed.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I would pull your two 512s and go with DDR400 in 2 x 1GB. I have had enough issues with mixed memory that I don't want to do it.
  • edited June 2007
    Using slower RAM will actually cause the CPU itself to run slower if I remember correctly. Its best to use the RAM that matches your bus speed (or faster if you are overclocking). Go with 2GB of PC3200 which you should be able to find at a more reasonable cost these days. If you are using XP, there really is no need to go over 2GB.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    beedubaya wrote:
    Using slower RAM will actually cause the CPU itself to run slower if I remember correctly. Its best to use the RAM that matches your bus speed (or faster if you are overclocking). Go with 2GB of PC3200 which you should be able to find at a more reasonable cost these days. If you are using XP, there really is no need to go over 2GB.

Not true. Your cpu won't run slower. However the amount of information passing around if it's going through a slower bus will cause a bottleneck. The question will come down to how much of a hit you take through using slower ram but more or faster ram, but less.