PC Not booting, brand new.

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hello, i just got an Asus M2N32-SLI Premium board, Athlon FX-62, 2 gigs of dual channel corsair xms ram, a 650 watt Antec TruPower powersupply, and a Western Digital harddrive, also a no-name brand dvd rom. I put it all together, and i hit the power switch, and it turns on, but it won't boot to the monitor. The fans all turn on, the lights all turn on, but unusually, theres no beep on the motherboard, even tho the speaker is plugged in. The light on the mobo goes on, but the cd drive will not open, and it wont show up on the monitor. Also when you hold down the power button, it does not reset, and i have to flip the switch in the back. Does anyone know why its doing this? Is the motherboard bad?

Thanks

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    First thing I would do is plug in only the required things; motherboard, power supply, processor w/ heat sink & fan, graphics card, and a single stick of memory... no hard drives, no optical drives, and not every stick of memory either. If it boots, then add on ONE thing at a time starting with the memory which is where my bet the problem may be.

Also, if you hold the power button for 5-6 seconds it should just turn off.
  • edited March 2007
    Nope, it wont restart by the power button, it hink cause the case is supposed to have a Reset button, but that doesnt work either. It started beeping recently. It does 1 long beep, then 2 short beeps. I looked online and it said that it was a video adaptor error. I tried plugging in another PCI-E card, but it also doesnt work, i use an 8800. I plugged in a 7800, which should work, since it requires alot less power. right now i have only 1 stick of ram in there, cpu, heatsink/fan, and gpu. And it still doesnt turn on. I get the same beeps from the 8800 and the 7800.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    Do you have an old PCI (not PCI-E) video card you could try?

Try resetting the BIOS using the CMOS jumper.

Are all the power connectors hooked up properly, including the one to the video card (if applicable) and the smaller one(s) to the motherboard?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Nope, it wont restart by the power button
    Did you test the system - just motherboard, memory, and video card - before complete assembly?

Your problem may be as simple as having the polarity on the tiny cables (PWR, RESET SPKR, and so forth) wrong on the motherboard pinouts, the system panel connectors on the lower right of the motherboard. Recheck your motherboard manual and ensure they connectors are oriented correctly. If you put the marked sides of the connector '>' on the wrong pins your computer will not power on at all. I bet that's what you've done.
    edited March 2007
    Polarity doesn't matter for power and reset switches. All they do is momentarily close a circuit. Now if they are on the wrong pins altogether...
    edited March 2007
    Polarity doesn't matter for power and reset switches
    Prof, I have had builds before that would NOT power on until I switched the polarity. Right, reset doesn't matter, but PWR/PWRSW does. Now, it could be he has one or more of the switches on the wrong pins, which is an easy mistake to make.
  • edited March 2007
    I have already tried resetting bios with the cmos. The system does power on, just no monitor, and it beeps saying video error. Everything is connected right. I have double and triple checked it. Im just going to get a new motherboard.
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Prof, I have had builds before that would NOT power on until I switched the polarity. Right, reset doesn't matter, but PWR/PWRSW does...

Then why don't I sometimes have to turn the screwdriver blade around 180 degrees when I short the pins on a caseless system to start it that way? :vimp:
    edited March 2007
    Maybe I'm just remembering the times when I had the connectors one pin off to the left or the right. :rolleyes:
    edited March 2007
    Flamez, is it possible for you to try another video card with your motherboard, or try your video card in another computer?