webcam extended cable

edited April 2007 in Hardware
hi,i m facing problem regarding extended cable for my web cam.actually i want to use my web cam as security cam but my existing cable is too short become a security cam so i tried to attached a extended cable between usb plug and cam i carefully join the colours of cable but it was not working the message appeared on screen was that windows does not recocignise ur usb device .my existing cable is 2 meters long and my extended cable is about 20feet long ,i m in trouble please help me

Comments

• edited April 2007
    i m using windows xpsp2,my hdd=30gb,ram=384,processor=igb.dell gx 110
  • edited April 2007
    if i rejoin the cable at the orignal position it works,why i m facing this,is there some thing wrong to the cam capacity or i m doing some wrong moves
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I've moved your thread. This is not an emergency. Sure, it's a problem, but not an emergency.

Wish I could help you with the problem.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Have you previously put the webcam onto the PC..? That message normally means that you have not installed the drivers so that windows can detect the camera.
  • edited April 2007
    it might drop signal. Over 2 meters it needs to be powered.
    Google for "USB Active Extension Cable" or booster.
    Good Luck..
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Also check the device and cable for the USB2.0 logo. If the camera is USB2, and the extension cable is not, then it wont work
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Chances are it's a power issue. Like Developer said, look for an active extension cable.
  • edited April 2007
    if it is the issue of active extention power issue then what should i do? and also from where can i get that cable?my driver is working properly after i switch to the 2 meters cable but wont be able on long one.i must thank to all u r helping me like u all r my bros,i mean i find this forum a heaven on earth for my type of people who only know minor things about computer ,i always got right help from u people when ever i was in trouble,i must say "amazing"
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2007