Cant Use Pc because Of Radeon 9800 Pro INFINITE LOOP

edited April 2007 in Hardware
OK hello ive been having a problem with my computer were
windows shuts down and when i try to re boot the Bsod
apears talking about an error Infinite Loop.
This happens and now i cant even boot windows.
Although I can run in safe mode but who wants that .:)
This started happening after I tryed to upgrade to
Windows Vista because i had a virus on windows XP so
I found out that i didnt really like Vista since my
comp would crash like if I tryed to open a game or
any other task like surf the internet.
When i downgraded back to Xp the system didnt work
right like I said before. I believe the problem lies
with my Video Card since the infinite loop is a loop
between the VGA card and CPU. I think the specific
problem is with the power supply not providing enough
power for the VGA, or the driver for the VGA since it
opperated fine with the windows driver but When i
upgraded the driver to the Ati driver the problems
kept happening. My system is this which i got from
running dxdiag in safemode. I tested the PSU using a
Multi Meter and I found out that the power being
supplied was in the right ranges. So i really do not no what to do.

Windows XP Pro 5.1 Buuild 2600
1024 mb Ram

and the specific parts in the PC are

Mobo MSI K8t-Neo-V

VGA Radeon 9800 Pro 256 mb

HD 200 Gb Western Dig

CD is an Asus Dvd Burner

There is only a 300 watt PSU so i think that may be
my main problem.

The PC was built by me.

Any help is greatly appreciated

I know there was a topic already on this but i want some advice on what to do.:bigggrin:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Your problem may be that you have conflicting drivers from previous installations. Who knows, you may have Nvidia drivers lurking in there somewhere if you've used Nvidia cards before. Best to start from a clean drivers baseline - Windows default.

In Safe Mode completely remove all ATI drivers and programs (and Nvidia, if any). Start with Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Look for any ATI folders and wipe them out too. Go here, get MyUninstaller and install it. It's a freeware program that cleans out unused programs better than the Windows' Add or Remove Programs.

Restart your computer and let Windows install the default ATI driver. That will at least let you use your computer and get on the Internet. Next, go to ATI's site and get the latest XP driver for your 9800. If there are still problems, wipe out that driver and look for 9800 drivers one or two versions older.
  • edited April 2007
    Thanks for the response but i have a question, if u formatted would the drivers still stay cause i have used an Nvidia Hercules card a while back but i have formatted since.

:confused::sad2:
    edited April 2007
    If you formatted the partition on which old drivers resided, then no, they should be completely gone.
    edited April 2007
    Use that MyUninstaller program I linked. It's a cool utility that will show everything that's installed on your computer. It will find things that Windows' Add or Remove Programs will not show.
  • edited April 2007
    Ok then i guess i dont have conflicting drivers since i have formatted since ive had the Nvidia card:sad2:. I was hoping for a cheap easy fix. It Seems it may be pretty expensive :(
  • edited April 2007
    Hmm I used the windows uninstaller and i got it booted up out of safe mode with Networking yay. I got rid of the Ati Drivers and it worked so that obviously points to a driver problem unless ure slow:rolleyes: