Performance does not refelect machine specs!

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I play World of Warcraft, and I recently upgraded my RAM to 2048 400MHz and an nVidia 7600GT, I still have VERY low framerates during encounters with lots of "spells" and large amounts of players. I have maybe 5 frames per second with the settings lowered to a minimum during raids (encounters with 25-40 players). What is wrong? Or is this normal. And if so what do I need to change to get better framerates? My friend has a 6600GT and 1024 RAM and a 3.7GHz processor yet he has framerates so smooth I couldn't even compare it to mine.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Do you play in Windowed mode?

Hello from Cenarion Circle.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Generally, no but I do sometimes. I have low framerate for both.
    edited April 2007
    My specs fit in with the high performace PC specs posted here (http://www.short-media.com/articles/gaming_system_specs_guide_for_casual_gamer) Yet I am experiencing crap framerates when with other players (more than 5 and fighting)
    edited June 2007
    /bump, is anyone able to help me here? >.<
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    Do you have the latest drivers installed ?.
    edited June 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    Do you have the latest drivers installed ?.
    Everything has been updated today except the chipset drives as there are none for the SiS649. Deleted all cache files from the game, done EVERYTHING reccomended by Blizzard Entertainment, nothing seems to work. Time to ask the professionals :D *looks at you guys*
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Have you tried completely uninstalling WoW, delete the remaining folders... reinstall and update the game and see if that works? At the end of the day, if that doesn't work, normally I would just reinstall windows as well :P
    edited June 2007
    I've tried that too =/ I've formatted about 4 times since I've had WoW.
  • edited June 2007
    What cpu do you have????
    edited June 2007
    3.06GHz Celeron D processor, soon to be a 3.4GHz Dual Core with HT (hopefully :P)
  • edited June 2007
    Probably thats the bottleneck and performance failure. Celerons are not for gaming. An old 2ghz northwood would do better than that celeron. When you go to a dual core you will see the diff.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Celerons not good for gaming. My friend plays WOW on a 2.5 Cel and a 5200 and he gets decent framerates for his specs. Roughly 30-ish, and around 20 in BG's.

Also, Dunno if this is true or not, but a friend of mine who's an intel fanboy said the Core2 is based off the Celeron.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    Also, Dunno if this is true or not, but a friend of mine who's an intel fanboy said the Core2 is based off the Celeron.
    Your friend is an idiot.

The core2 duo is based off the core duo and that was based off the dothan, the dothan was based off the banias and the banias was based off the tualatin (A pentium 3 chip, yey p6 architecture)

edit:
    P6 product line.
    Pentium Pro>Klamath>Deschutes>Katmai(It was a revamped Deschutes with SSE)>Coppermine>Coppermine-T>Tualatin>Banias>Dothan>Yonah (Core duo)>Conroe (Core 2 Duo),Allendale (Core 2 duo).

Intel had to abandon everything with netburst (All of the pentium 4's and pentium D's) as it was a miserable failure.

Celeron's are just crippled pentium's.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited June 2007
    Who is this friend of whom you speak?

Threadstarter...I would suggest many things, but to start with, see if you can get a good benchmark of your system. Chipset, SATA/IDE, Video, Sound, etc drivers matter quite a bit, but if your system's BIOS is not configured correctly, or you have eye candy enabled with the really high resolutions on your VGA adapter, you could experience some of the symptoms you are describing. Please provide us with an OS version and service pack level, system specs (complete), driver levels, startup programs, current advanced video card settings. Also, ensure that the system is being provided adequate cooling and is not under a layer of dust, the system has been defragmented and scanned for viruses, latest patches have been applied, if ide then DMA is being utilized, etc.

Just some ideas, but hit me back up when you have some info.
    edited June 2007
    Friend of mine named Sean. Right now he's in some hot water with the law down here because of something that happened at his school.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Just out of curiousity, how fast is your hard drive and how much free space do you have on there? If you have no space or the drive is overly fragmented, that can also be a killer for performance in games.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    The cpu is the ultimate bottleneck when you have a lot of information on the screen. Just stay outside Karazhan on a wednesday evening and you'll see. Or Serpentshrine Caverns where the trash mobs spew out the green stuff (the Huge Bog Lords). The rig i use for gaming consists of pretty powerful stuff. 2 x1950 XT cards in crossfire, 4 gigs of ram, overclocked core 2 duo cpu at 3.3 ghz, ram at around 1000 mhz. All places in outland gives me a capped 60 fps but as soon as there is a karazhan like situation, the fps can drop to around 40-50 in short periods. With the cpu you have, you need to drop the resolution to a quite low one. Set everything in the details to low and go from there. You will need a better cpu though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Actually, WoW is RAM and CPU-bound, but that 7600GT isn't helping. VERY HEAVILY RAM-bound. One of my sticks of RAM just bit the bullet, dropping me from 2GB to 1GB, and certain areas of the game became unplayable for the first 10-20 seconds of flying into them, where before it was no big deal.
    edited June 2007
    Okay, long post a'commin :P I have recently spoken to Blizzard and a problem I suspected a while ago but gave up on a solution as it was unfixable is sharing IRQs. I also have a suspicion (spelling ftw) that my hard drive is dying, I've used about 50GB but apparently I've used 80..o.O. There are no available drivers for my chipset (SiS649), not sure how to update the motherboard drivers, and no idea about the harddrive either. Apart from that, drivers are up to date. But I would have thought with 2x1024MB 400MHz DDR RAM chips I would have better framerates >.< Also, my bios is **** :D Nowhere to change the AGP settings, fast write, IRQ channels and other stuff people seem to talk about (pretends I know what I just spoke about). My IRQ for the graphics card is sharing a channel with my IEEE fire wire thingy, (this is an area I know VERY little about) but when I went into the bios I couldn't change it, and I couldn't change it from the device manager because the button was greyed out.

Another possible issue :D My connection speed with WoW running is near 1000kbps, when we're paying for what should be giving me 100mbps, could this be a problem? I much doubt it as when there is much going on I see dramatic framerate problems. I also took a 3D mark 2006 test... "Computers with a worse result than you: 0" "Computers with a similar result to you: 0". A friend of mine on wow has the EXACT same specs, processor, RAM and GFX card, and he gets ~60 fps. My hard drive is a 160GB cheap piece of crap :D

Here are the IRQs, if that helps at all, but I think it's not the problem. If you require any more information than that you'll probably have to instruct me on how to access/display it. Thanks again.
    IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT OK
    IRQ 16 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
    IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 17 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 17 PCI SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP OK
    IRQ 18 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK
    IRQ 19 SiS191 1000/100/10 Ethernet Device OK
    IRQ 20 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 20 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
    IRQ 21 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller OK

Here's a list of conflicts too, but once again, I don't know what they mean >.<
    Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF2FFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF2FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

I/O Port 0x0000A000-0x0000AFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    I/O Port 0x0000A000-0x0000AFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000047F PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000047F Direct memory access controller

IRQ 20 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 20 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
    IRQ 16 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

IRQ 17 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    IRQ 17 PCI SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Oh, and one more thing :D It's a Dual core, not a Core duo :P
    edited June 2007
    Conflicts are conflicts, man. Don't you know what they are?

I'd get to fixing those if I were you. May lead to bluescreens down the line if you aren't lucky.
    edited June 2007
    I do know what they are, I can't fix them and I do get bluescreens :D
    edited June 2007
    Go into your bios and disable UPNP-aware OS. You might have to define them manually after that, but atleast they won't conflict.
    edited June 2007
    Erm, let's "pretend" I know nothing about this kind of stuff *shifty eyes* could you explain to me how to do that? My BIOS is crap, I can't allocate IRQs in the BIOS or on Device Manager >.<
    edited June 2007
    You can't do it in windows because UPNP aware OS is active. APCI also might be on. Turn them off, and you can manually assign IRQ's in windows.
    edited July 2007
    I heard I can only turn ACPI(wth are they?! >.<) by formatting my PC... for the umpteenth time, is this true? And if not how do I go about doing it?
    edited July 2007
    A format is part of it, but you need to disable APCI in your bios first.
    edited July 2007
    GAH!!!!!!!!! Do I HAVE to format? I've JUST formatted last night and I've got everything reinstalled again >.<
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I think you do. Stop complaining, it's windows.
    edited July 2007
    Well, my BIOS is 100% grade A crap, could you talk me through how I could disable it? Although, except for the PCI to PCI thing, I disabled the Fire Wire that I wasn't using that was conflicting with the GFX card.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    You don't need to disable ACPI, in fact I recommend you don't. YAD, stop giving him crap advice :rolleyes:

You don't need to format. It sounds like you have a crappy OEM motherboard (is this like an emachines or a dell or something?). Until you can upgrade your motherboard and CPU, this is probably going to continue.