Laptop Buying Help

LipidSamaLipidSama Toledo, Oh
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hey Guys, I have been looking around on newegg and bestbuy and a couple other websites trying to find a decent laptop. Now I know there are a lot of questions on here for laptops and I did search, so if this is familiar to another post I apologize. I'm in the market right now for another Laptop. And let me just say real quick, you guys here at short-media gave me a lot of good info for when I built my RIG I am using right now like a year ago and thats why I am back. I am looking for a pretty decent laptop. Here is a couple of things I'm looking for. Any variation is possible, because I'm not yet dead-set on what I want, because I'm still not fully aware of what I want or need with the current market. And one more thing, if something new is coming out any tips would be helpful, So I don't buy something that is foolish. Price: "whatever - to - $2500" Maybe a little more if its worth it, but $3,000 is pushing it. Processor: I would like some input on this. I'm thinking about switching to a Duo-Core. all my computer up till now have all been AMD. What do you guys think? Games? Multimedia? Storage Speed? Some current facts from people who know the current market and whats out there would be nice. And not some guy at best Buy who agrees with everything you say, just trying to make a sale. Hard-Drive: It doesn't matter to me size really. Like anywhere from 100-150gigs is fine for me. I just want the HDD chatter to be low. Now if you opt to have a 7200rpm Hard drive over like a 5400 is the noise gonna be louder or is basically brand and berrings that makes the noise? because I would like to be able to take it to class and take notes on it as well. But I would be embarrassed if it started humming in class. Screen Size: I originally wanted like a 17in monitor but the more I think about it. I would actually like around a 15.5 or something that can go in the car or something and sit on your lap if you in a train or something. My eyes are still fine for the most part. Games: I know this is weird, but I would like the system to be able to play World of Warcraft. I mean I know it might be choppy some times but something I can take to a LAN party or play while I'm sitting out in the grass waiting for my next class to start while I'm on campus. Graphics Card: My Toshiba Satellite right now has Geforce Go graphics card in it. And the website for Direct Drivers sucks IMO. I don't know if its improved with newer cards. My Toppy has a Geforce 440 go and it just Doesnt wanna play anything. I also play counterstrike source and command and conquer 3 now. I would also like wireless capabilities. Built in speakers of course. Web cam and fingerprint stuff thats all candy. If its on it I don't care, if not doesn't bother me. So basically I'm trying to find a good laptop that can hold alot of multimedia stuff, while also having the power to play some current high end games, (maybe even crysis *rolls eyes* I looked at Vaio's and gateways, Alienware, Toshiba's, powerPC's, Asus, just to name a few, but websites are hard, because every website says there product is the best. So im not brand limited suggesting brands would be helpful also. --Sorry if its a long boring post, but if it can save me 500.00 or something might be worth it, if not get me a sweet laptop and save me from getting a poor one. Thanks Guys ~Chris --I just did preview post and it made it all one big paragraph sorry, when I wrote most of it was in column form.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I won't recommend the graphics card/chip for your laptop, as I don't keep up with mobile graphics. First off, I'm sure you won't need to spend anywhere near your max budget for a laptop to meet your needs. But anyway, let's find out what your needs are.

What do you anticipate being your typical usage of the laptop for the next three years?

* games -- what games? what games besides WoW do you play? do you anticipate becoming a more advanced gamer, such as for intense games that require serious frames per second?

* do you multi-task a lot? would you like to do more multi-tasking, such burning DVDs while on the internet?

* I guess you'll be getting Vista. To my knowledge, all branded laptops will have it now

* video encoding?

Recommendations so far:

* Definitely go Core Duo. There is no reason to go single core any more. Dual core will make just about any multitasking faster. I would go Intel Core Duo over AMD dual core as the Core Duo power consumption is lower. If your primary usage will be with the laptop on wall power, then don't rule out AMD.

* Get a graphics chip/card that will support if you think you'll want to play more challenging games in the future (challenging, at least, to the computer).

* Brands -- Lenevo, HP, Dell. Stay away from Gateway. There are other boutique brands such as Alienware, but I just don't think they are really worth their very high price unless you are a diehard gamer and just can't compromise.

* Go for at least 2GB of DRAM. If Vista and multitasking, 2GB is really a must if you still want your computer to feel snappy two years from now when you've loaded more complex software that comes on the market.

Considerations:

* check out forums (Google search) for brands and warranty service. You might want to avoid a laptop whose manufacturer treats the customer like dirt after the sale. I'd heard that Lenevo's customer satisfaction ratings are very good. But don't rely on my words. Check it out. This is important. You can't just dig in to a laptop and swap out components like you can a home-built desktop. You open a laptop, and the warranty is killed.
    * get integrated wireless with the laptop, or an included card
    * read the warranty fine print. maybe one maker's warranty will really stand out from the rest.
    * if you plan on ordering online, go to stores and check the laptops on display. get a feel for different brands keyboards, monitor quality, general feel of quality and sturdiness (some laptops seem to flex just by picking them up!) While at the store, try to get an idea of what the minimum size monitor is that you will accept.

Well, that's off the top of my head. I'm sure others will drop in an add their advice.
  • LipidSamaLipidSama Toledo, Oh
    edited April 2007
    • First off thanks for your reply.
    • Yeah I don't see myself spending 3,000.00 either after typing that I was like what did I just say kind of thing.
    • In terms of gaming. I do Command and Conquer 3 and Counterstrike Source. World of Warcraft (even though I'm trying to quit) is my main game right now. So in terms of Frames Per Second, my main computer gets killer spec's so Im not to worried about fps, I mean it is important and stuff, but if it was 1/2 of what this comp gets id be happy. Just something to take to a buddies house or something for a lan party instead of dragging this lian-li V2000 around, weighs a ton lol
    • Multitasking, well my main computer houses all my stuff. So I might put season 1 of scrubs or whatever on my laptop to watch in class while I wait for the prof to come in, or something like that, but I don't plan on burning dvd's while typing on word processors while web surfing. nothing to the extreme. I'm just trying to figure out whats new on the market. I haven't looked at computer hardware since mid 2005, and I know things change every week now a days.
    • I don't really need a dvd burner or anything like that. I got one on my main computer.
    • Basically I'm looking for a strong support laptop for my main computer. Thats a good way to put it.
    • As long as it has like 15.4 in monitor, its gotta be quiet, so I can take it into class and not have people stare at me.
    • As for the nvidia geforce gfx cards how are they? my geforce go 440 on my Toshiba is a pile of crap IMO. Have they improved? Because it seems like nvidia go cards are in every laptop I look at.
    • I will probably not get an Alienware I was just looking at there store to see what they offer to compare to other stuff to learn.
    • Basically I'm undesided, as you probably already guessed. Ok this is the ultimate newb question, but Intel Core Duo, thats still 32 bit right? or is that a 64 bit configuration? im guessing each chip is 32, but im not sure.
    edited April 2007
    Core 2 Duos are 32bit and 64bit. AMD X2 is also. Most of the major brand laptops will be fairly quiet. I've run several brands of laptops with several different CPUs. The only one that was noisy at full load was a Gateway. (My experience was so bad with that Gateway that I just never recommend that brand. Not just noise, but three motherboards, the CDRW....)

Again, let someone else advise you on GPUs. But yes, mobile graphics have improved a lot, especially with respect to laptop internal cards, versus onboard GPU chips.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Dell Inspiron E1505 looks great, you can also spec it any Which way you want. It's a good lappy and online pics don't do it justice. Go for the lowest and cheapest memory and upgrade via crucial/corsair etc.
    happy shopping
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    My daughter has a Toshiba Satellite A1xx. C2D, 2GB ram, 15.4", Go7600 video...

Actually hers is a Core Duo, C2D wasn't out yet. I paid $20 to get the 1GB ram as a single stick and bought a second from Newegg for half of what Toshiba wanted.
    The video is good, I haven't gamed much on it since she has it at school.
    It will only fold if you leave the top up. Otherwise it overheats.

I would go with the larger 5400rpm drive, 7200's are louder and draw more power.
    I just priced one out, with wifi, bluetooth, better speakers and a DVD burner it comes to $1,500.
    http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetupdate.to?seg=HHO&poid=364866&cartAction=Add&coid=-32796&selcmpcodpipcrt=&qtycrt=0&lincrt=0&selxslpoidtab2pip=&fromTab=tabcfg&COMP_CPU=CPU-0190&COMP_Operating+System=OS-0079&COMP_Color+Variation=COLOR-0002&COMP_Office+Software=APP-0025&COMP_Memory=MEM-0061&COMP_LCD=LCD-0047&COMP_Graphics+Controller=GFX-0042&COMP_HDD=HDD-0043&COMP_Optical+Media=SBAY-0027&COMP_Mini-PCI%2FWiFi=COM1-0026&COMP_Bluetooth=COM2-0015&COMP_Speaker=SPKR-0001

I have carried Toshiba Satellites for work for years and they have always done fine by me.
    edited April 2007
    I would go with the larger 5400rpm drive, 7200's are louder and draw more power.
    Ed, the newer 2.5" 7200 drives are not so noisy as they used to be. The computer responsiveness with the 7200RPM versus 5400 is considerably better. I would not buy a new laptop with a 5400RPM drive - just too slow.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Hey sgtwilliams had a nice one for sale Pm him he may still have it.
    I mean what the hack it can't hurt to check.
  • edited April 2007
    I can tell you what I ordered last Sunday and the price I'm getting it for. This is for a combo work/gaming-capable laptop that I basically will use more as a mobile desktrop system rather than a true road warrior "go everywhere" type of machine. Since I work on drilling rigs offshore I need something fairly portable but it doesn't have to be real small, thus a 17" screen model. Anyways, the following is what I ordered from Dell:

Inspiron E1705, which is basically the same base setup as the Dell XPS 1710 chassis.
    T7400 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo processor
    2 X 1 GB DDR2 667 ram
    17" WUXGA Truelife screen, which I think is 1920X1200 resolution
    256 MB GeForce Go 7900GS video subsystem (should do very good for gaming and is the default vid card for the XPS 1710 model gaming lappie Dell sells)
    100 GB 7200 rpm hard drive. Like Leo said, the 7200 rpm drives are the way to go and have been quiet and power thrifty for around 3 years now (for Hitachi drives at least, Seagates haven't been out quite that long).
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module
    Vista Home Premium OS :rolleyes2
    I also got their 3 year warrantee package that includes accidental damage protection, Lojack antitheft protection for 3 years and a 3 year subscription for Mcafee 8.0 (yuck, I hate their software but it's part of the package).

After adding all this up and figuring in the tax the total came out to almost $2400.00 delivered. So I went to Gateway's site and built an almost exact duplicate of this for around $2250.00 delivered (they had a special $200 off deal going over the weekend). So I called Dell up and spoke with a guy named Keith Boatman and talked about what he could do to better match Gateway's price and he knocked around $75 more off the price of my Dell delivered, to $2320, so I went ahead and ordered it. I went with the Dell because of past experience with Dell's laptops and no experience at all with Gateway's laptops.
  • LipidSamaLipidSama Toledo, Oh
    edited April 2007
    • Thanks for all the info guys.
    • I think I have a general idea of what I am looking for, I think now I am just gonna go window shopping and get a feel for the prices out there.
    • I just needed a good refresher on the current market. Which you guys gave.
    Thanks
    ~Chris
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    No Probs