Did I kill my Socket 478 with AS5?

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi everyone!

I can't seem to figure this out... I have been trying to get a couple 478 celerons up and running and I'm not sure if the Mobo is the issue, the PSU, or the chip. I had a 2.6 running on a decent ASUS board but it mysteriously died. So I tried a different power supply, nothing. SO I tried it out of the case, nothing. So I tried a diffenent Board, nothing. I have three different boards, three diffenern chips, and three different PSUs. All of the PSUs seem to work fine on other boards. I have cleared CMOS on all, and I can't even get a POST out of any of them. I am wondering if I got some AS5 down in that stupid little hole that is on 478s and maybe that killed the chip? Didn't seem to be a problem on the first build that just stopped workign for some reason.

Anyway, if that is the problem, is there any fix? All components test well when not associated with each other (RAM, PSU, MOBO, and CPU) and I have tripple checked all jumper and switch settings, I just can't figure this out. I am rying to get this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185078
to work with a 2.6 Celeron, 256MB of PC2700 RAM, and a 250 W PSU. I know this is crazy underpowered but I am not expecting miracles, I just need another system up and running. PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Have you checked the pins on the bottom of the CPU? I wonder if you broke one of them. I don't see how you could destroy a CPU with any thermal paste.

Your post confuses me. Are you saying all your CPUs no longer work, or only no longer work on a particular motherboard?
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2007
    . I am wondering if I got some AS5 down in that stupid little hole that is on 478s and maybe that killed the chip? Didn't seem to be a problem on the first build that just stopped workign for some reason.

The short answer is NO. I have had in "that stupid little hole" many a time without it being detrimental.
  • edited April 2007
    Leo,

3 boards, 3 CPUs, no POST. No combination seems to get over that hurdle. The online manual seems to have conflicting infr from the book so hopefully that will make a difference. The pins look OK, and as these chips came from eMachines, I can't see that they would have bene overclocked. What gets me is that they all tested fine a few days ago and now not a one of the POST. I'll keep trying... If you guys think of anything, please let me know!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Off the top of my head:

-- killed all three CPUs with static electrical shock - unlikely
    -- ditto motherboards - unlikely
    -- crazy BIOS settings in all three motherboards - unlikely
    -- CMOS jumper on all three motherboards on the reset position?
    -- you put the thermal paste on the wrong side of the CPUs (don't hit me, I just had to throw that in :) )
    -- you forget to connect the power cable to the motherboard on all three motherboards - unlikely

best i can come up with at the moment