WU Ends Early. 7 points

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited April 2007 in Folding@Home
Does this mean my CPU/RAM/Something is unstable?

[11:01:18] Writing local files
[11:01:18] Completed 2900000 out of 5000000 steps (58)
[11:12:33] Gromacs cannot continue further.
[11:12:33] Going to send back what have done.
[11:12:33] logfile size: 79180
[11:12:33] - Writing 79716 bytes of core data to disk...
[11:12:33] ... Done.
[11:12:33]
[11:12:33] Folding@home Core Shutdown: EARLY_UNIT_END
[11:12:36] CoreStatus = 72 (114)
[11:12:36] Sending work to server

Also, I got 7 points for this WU. Is that what's given for any unfinished WU, or are points given only once a certain point is reached? Does each WU have different points for an early end?

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    It might mean something's unstable. Has this been happening very often? When I overclocked my livingroom rig a smidge too high, it killed Gromacs within a frame or two. Is this happening on an OC'd system?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Yes, it probably does mean there's a system instability. It could also be a corrupted work unit.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited April 2007
    First time it's happened in the log files available, but I have O/C'd it recently, but the speed bump was relatively small (100MHz or less). If it happens again I'll back it back down to stock speeds.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Sometimes a small OC will do it. For the rig I was having problems with, I only increased the FSB by two, so that was like an extra 30mhz. My problem in that case was my mobo didn't have voltage adjustment. That processor could OC much higher on other boards.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    I've had rigs do that on occasion for no apparent reason. If it's an isolated incident I wouldn't worry about it.

If it keeps happening, try deleting all the FAH cores. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    First time it's happened in the log files available, but I have O/C'd it recently... If it happens again I'll back it back down to stock speeds.
    Good strategy. If you get two early unit ends in a row you can bet it's a system problem. Prof's advise to delete old cores is good also.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I have been having early WU's complete and I have been getting 11 points... errr.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    You might also try deleting all except your config and the f@h.exe
    I have had bad core downloads in the past.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2007
    How long has it been since you've cleaned your CPU HSF? It happened to me that way...and I just got done fixing my sister-in-laws with a vacuum cleaner, can of compressed air, and a cloth yesterday. Now she can complete her taxes :rolleyes2

Dust bunnies make good insulators :)