Help/Advice Needed Pls CD/DVD drives not working

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi All

I hope someone may be able to help or advise as to what I may have done to my laptop or if its done it its self!!

I have an old Dell Latitude machine in a docking station so have a CDRW/DVD dive (Mat****a CDRW/DVD UJDA740) and a CD (Torsian CD-Rom CDR-u200) both of which have stopped working and on device manager show a little yellow ! mark, I have used trouble shooter and get the message "

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have tried to update drivers, uninstall and re-install (without the disk tho) and searching for drivers online to no avail.

First to admit I am not the most technical and am probably missing something very simple to correct this, so any advice help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DJ

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    When you wrote "uninstall and re-install," were you referring to the drivers or the devices themselves?

Are both of these drives on the same IDE ribbon cable (cable that runs from the drive(s) to the motherboard)? If they are both on the same cable and they both went down at the same time, it's a fair chance the cable is loose or is has become defective.

Turn off your computer, unplug it from the wall, remove the IDE cable's connectors from both the motherboard and drives, then reconnect the cable.

Before reaching inside the case, touch the metal frame of the case to discharge any static electricity.
  • edited April 2007
    Hi there

thanks for the response, when I wrote "uninstall & re install" I was refering to both drivers and drives as I tried both (plug and play drives!?) as for the IDE canle you lost me on that one I'm afraid. I've no idea whats going on inside my machine hey

F
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    There is a flat, ribbon cable that connects your drives to the motherboard. That is the "IDE" cable. With the computer off and unplugged, disconnect that cable (inside the computer) from both the motherboard and the drives, then reconnect it. If that doesn't work, you may need to try another cable.
This discussion has been closed.