geforce go 7600 & toshiba satellite p105-s6227

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hello all and thanks for reading.

I"ve been spending a great deal of time trying to find drivers for this laptop i have recently dowgraded from vista home to XP pro. I found most of them but i can't seem to find either the video or the sound drivers i need.

toshiba has told me that there are no xp drivers for this laptop and i could try to find something similar.

the video card is the geforce go 7600. can anyone give me some advice as what to do to find this driver or something they know that is compatible?

I have tried many drivers but haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks a lot in advance and I look forward to hearing from someone.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    also - the reason for downgraded was all my games were running choppy in vista even at lowest settings.. i couldn't handle it. If someone knows of a good driver that would fix that i would be glad to reinstall vista.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Go to this page and click on the "Driver" link button near the top left. It's a link to the 8.4.7.1 drivers, which should work for any 7600 Go.
  • edited April 2007
    Awesome - i will try this as soon as i get home.

I'm always looking for a few other drivers for this laptop.

namely, the audio driver and the touchpad driver. Any knowledge of where these might be available?

thanks a lot!
    edited April 2007
    I found the Nvidia drivers through persistent Google searches. For your other drivers, try first Toshiba's site for your specific computer model. If that doesn't bring results, identify the laptop's specific hardware components: Windows Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. Once you have the name of the component, do Internet searches. You can also use Belarc Advisor (free software download) to help identify the computer's components.
  • edited April 2007
    Ok I'll try that. Thanks again for your help.
  • edited April 2007
    So I've given up on my driver search and upgraded back to Vista. Is anyone aware of a driver for this laptop that would eliminate the lag im getting while playing games on it? (grr) thanks in advance!
    edited April 2007
    Did you ever try the 7600 GO drivers I linked? If not, why not? Obviously you don't have to try them, but it is necessary for troubleshooting your system.
  • edited April 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Did you ever try the 7600 GO drivers I linked? If not, why not? Obviously you don't have to try them, but it is necessary for troubleshooting your system.

Will this work for Vista or was this intended for my XP setup? If so, I have tried it on XP but not on Vista.

Thanks
    edited April 2007
    Sorry, I have not clue about Vista. I'm officially waiting at least nine months before I even think about trying it. Again, sorry, I know that doesn't help you much.
  • edited April 2007
    I tried your link as I am having the same problem. I downloaded the 8471 driver set which says it works with 7600 go but unfortunately it tells me I have no such video card on my laptop. I've tried 6 different driver sets and none of them work. This was Vista and I have to go back to XP because some of our company software does not work with Vista nor is supported by our proprietary software maker if we use Vista. So now because of Microsoft forcing us to buy Vista on new machines we are having a hard time. Makes us wanna move to Apple instead but that isn't cost efficient at the moment either. :mad:

Don't know what else to do. The employee this is going to will not accept a laptop that's choppy like this.

Carla
    Clovis, CA
    Leonardo wrote:
    edited April 2007
    Wish I had a solution for you folks! Maybe there is a different driver set for discrete 7600 graphics chips integral to some laptop motherboards versus 7600 Go video cards?
  • edited April 2007
    uhh, what?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    These should work for you and they are the newest from Nvidia...

http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=163&Itemid=41/

click on XTreme-G MobileForce VS 101.70 M6
  • edited April 2007
    Thank you sledgehammer, this got rid of the skipping problem! You wouldn't believe how many different things I tried to get this to work.

I'm testing on Command & Conquer 3 and I'm able to run it at low to mid graphics settings/resolution. I feel like my computer should be able to handle it at higher levels without slowdown. Is this the best video driver for the my geforce go 7600 vista premium toshiba satellite p105-s6227 laptop?

Also, it seems that over time as I play it slows down moreso, although the sound no longer skips. Is there anything else I should install that could help improve the performance?

Thanks so much already you've been a lifesaver with this link!
    edited April 2007
    Glad I could help...

CnC3 is a huge resource hog, and runs slow on just about all the laptops I have seen that have lower than a 7900GS. I noticed I was able to run the game at 1200x800 on medium across the board without issues on my laptop, but anything higher the game just feels like it is running slower.

Now my cheapo desktop PC I threw together to run the game is much slower than my laptop but can run the game much better "suprisingly" at 1680 x 1050 on high settings... Ultra high is pushing it, and flipping on AA is also pushing it.

AMD 3500+ - Nvidia 6600GT - 2GB Ram :)
  • edited April 2007
    Thanks for the replies -

I checked your sites - pretty kewl.

I installed WC3:TFT the other night (one of my favs) and it played perfectly on top settings (my goal in life) so i'm guessing that CNC3 is just being a bitch.

I was getting a lag in dawn of war and TFT most likely because of the video driver issue.

Looks like I'm just waiting for nvidia/toshiba to release better drivers for this piece?
    edited April 2007
    Like most Laptop companies your better off sticking with updated Tweaksrus drivers. As most companies release the drivers for the laptop once, and than you are SOL...
  • edited April 2007
    Like most Laptop companies your better off sticking with updated Tweaksrus drivers. As most companies release the drivers for the laptop once, and than you are SOL...

Yeah.. I disabled a bunch of msconfig startup programs and I'm going to be using a 2GB USB key with SpeedBoost to try to improve my performance.. cuz as of right now it's running pretty ****ty! Although warcraft III runs perfectly at top graphics.. Maybe this will help.

Thanks for your help.
  • edited April 2007
    Hey one more thing.

I'm replying here because I feel like you have the most knowledge about this issue. Like I said, I disabled some startup programs and am using a 2GB drive for SpeedBoost and I was happy that C&C 3 was actually running pretty decent on mid-high graphics settings! :-O

Problem: after a while.. it would start to lag. it ran smoothly for maybe 5 minutes.. then it would lag for a second.. run normally for 3 seconds..lag for a second..run normally for 3 seconds.. etc. etc.

What does this sound like? RAM? Should I upgrade on the RAM on this sucker or maybe try some more USB keys with speedboost?

Thank you very much!!
    edited April 2007
    To be honest Speed Boost isn't all it is cropped up to be. The main thing speed boost will do is open programs faster. IN general it will not boost your gaming that much if anything.

As for the game running smooth and slowing down could be ram, or it could just be the video card. White CnC3 is a pretty demanding game, your GPU might be maxing out on memory or something along that line causing the issue you are talking about.

How much memory is in the laptop currently? If less than 2GB than yes I would say try to snag 2 x 1GB chips for your system. As 2GB is a must with Vista...

Also try disabling Aero when gaming, while it doesn't take up that much space, when you are gaming any extra space is good.

I also found running games in window mode allowed me to run the games a bit better... Maybe give that a try :)
  • edited April 2007
    To be honest Speed Boost isn't all it is cropped up to be. The main thing speed boost will do is open programs faster. IN general it will not boost your gaming that much if anything.

As for the game running smooth and slowing down could be ram, or it could just be the video card. White CnC3 is a pretty demanding game, your GPU might be maxing out on memory or something along that line causing the issue you are talking about.

How much memory is in the laptop currently? If less than 2GB than yes I would say try to snag 2 x 1GB chips for your system. As 2GB is a must with Vista...

Also try disabling Aero when gaming, while it doesn't take up that much space, when you are gaming any extra space is good.

I also found running games in window mode allowed me to run the games a bit better... Maybe give that a try :)

Sounds like some good ideas.. yeah the speedboost seemed good for opening programs faster.. i don't care about that.. I currently have 2GB RAM.. the video card is good the geforce go 7600... maybe not good enough.. but yeah it was running sweet for a while then the slowdown.. grrrr. maybe ill consider investing in some more ram.. and ill try window mode. any other thoughts ?
    if you wanna sign on AIM i'm Meanest Pianist
  • edited April 2007
    So yeah - tried window mode.. ran even slower at first.. then went to normal but I couldn't scroll.. so that's not going to work. stupid lag... so you think it's the video card that's the culprit?
    edited April 2007
    I am running the game flawlessly in windows mode....

What settings are you running while in window mode?
  • edited April 2007
    i tried it at medium graphics settings and low but it didn't matter because i wasn't able to scroll.
    edited April 2007
    Dracarnion wrote:
    i tried it at medium graphics settings and low but it didn't matter because i wasn't able to scroll.

I should have mentioned arrow keys are the way around that...