Wireless USB?

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I have a hdd which i use as a 'media store' in my bedroom, at present I put content on this drive using a 10m usb cable from my pc.

Clearly this works fine and its simple, however, having a cable trailing across the landing is a serious hazard - and it could pull the hdd off the desk whilst its spinning.

I've seen that wireless usb actually does exist, however, it looks to be in its infancy - does anyone have any experience with it, and could anyone point me towards what I would actually need to buy - both from the pc side of things and the device side.

(Or if there is an alternative method I have overlooked - please let me know!)

Comments

• saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited April 2007
    First what is hdd? Now, My wife has a Mac with the router hook up to her eithernet. My PC is wireless and has a 802.11 wireless USB Adapter by Westell and it works fine.Install software plug into USB and you are good to go. I wouldn't go with Westell again since they are not giving a driver update for Vista ( still works but with some small problems) but they just told me to buy a new one. Good Luck
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    HDD = hard disk drive, or hard drive.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited April 2007
    It's this sumvision multimedia enclosure thing: http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1627

I just want to see it on my pc but not have it connected with wires basically!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Working with Wireless on a day to day basis, your question scares me. The only good thing about wireless, currently, is convenience. The idea of a wireless hdd is a bad one to me IMHO. A question does come to mind after reading the first sentence of this thread though... why is your drive 10m away from your PC?

I'm tired of all the wires myself, which is why I got a hub, currently I have a dozen devices attached to my laptop, and only three wires I have to work with, 1 power, 1 USB, and 1 Ethernet. It could be just two if I ran my cable modem through USB instead of Ethernet... I went through all my wired devices and taped them, and rewired everything so it's nice and clean looking and minimal on the cables I need to mess with.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited April 2007
    The external hdd in the post above is just being used as a media store - i.e. divx files, mp3's, jpg's etc - its connected to my TV in my bedroom.

The pc is in a different room - hence the distance between the two items.

The idea of connecting the media store via a usb cable works fine - however, sometimes its hard to keep track of whats on there - you end up forgetting whats on there and redownload it or something only to find its on there lol.

Why does the idea scare you - being wireless usb i was under the impression it had a very very short range - 10m or so from what i have read - so other people will not be able to connect to the device - i live in a semi detached house, not in college halls or anything.

The only other option I can think of is using advanced disc catalogue each time i add content to the device - then I can avoid the double downloading, however, sometimes it would be nice to use the media in both locations too!

I just really don't fancy pulling all the floorboards up again to run cables from 1 room to another - I'd even have to take my bed out of my room lol