Cpu fan pins

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys.
I just bought an Opteron cpu, and it came with a heatsink that looks like it would do much better than my current heatsink. The problem is, the heatsink fan is a four-pin connection, and my mobo only has a three-pin fan plugin. Is there anything I can do about this? I briefly looked over newegg for some kind of adapter, but with no success. I would appreciate any feedback :)
Thanks

Normally I would just deal with the crappy heatsink, but I'm running prime95 right now under stock settings (only one core), and my temps are much higher than my old cpu that was overclocked :hrm:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    4 pin. Molex? Plug it into a power supply?
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited April 2007
    Not molex, just the normal cpu fan pins.

fanjaunce.jpg

Like that, only it's four pins.
    Colored black, red, yellow, blue.
    It seems that the normal colors are black, red, and yellow, so I'm going to try plugging the new heatsink in to see if it works. I assume the blue wire might be like a fan controller wire.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    It will still line up with the three-pin connector on the motherboard. The plastic bracket should have a stay (barrier) so that it will connect correctly. If in doubt how to connect it, just use your old three-pin connector fan to see which color belongs on which edge. Just ensure that the same color with the 4-pin connector has that same color connected on the same end. The extra pin that won't be connected won't matter.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited April 2007
    Okay, that's what I did and it seems to be working. It's probably too early to say, but my temps already look much better :thumbsup:
    Just gotta wait for the as5 to settle, then it's overclocking time :rarr:

Rather than make a new thread for such a simple question, I might as well post it here:
    How can I run an instance of Prime95 on two cores? Right now I'm running it and it seems to only be using one core (cpu usage at just over 50%)
    Thanks
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    There ya go!! :cheers2: