Huge Memory Problem

edited April 2007 in Hardware
I'm not sure if this it totally the correct forum, but it is a sort of emergency.

I had a whole host of problems and basically I have done a system recovery. However, since then I have had most of my files deleted as I expected, but they are still taking up memory. I had a 120gig hard drive and had only 4gigs left. Now, I have lost all the files but still only have 4 gigs left. Have they been deleted and for some reason there's a problem with the memory or are the files on my PC still somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated as I need more than 4 gigs to use out of my 120.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Whoa...that's a dump truck of information packed into too few lines of info.

What type of problems precipitated the "recovery?"
    What type of recovery did you perform: Windows Repair Installation? Windows System Recovery? Using the 'recover' CD that may have been included with your computer? (I'm guess it was the latter.)

We'll help you through this - just more explanation please, Sir.
  • edited April 2007
    Hi

Sorry for the lack of detail.

My little sister clicked a link in MSN and we ended up with a ridiculous amount of adware, spyware, viruses, trojans etc etc. You name it, I probably had it. I was getting popups quite literally every few seconds, so after some advice from a few friends did the system recovery(no other methods worked)

As for what type it was, it was the HP PC System Recovery. I did this by pressing F10 at startup if that is any help.

I had a thought this morning about what it could be. I can't find any of the missing files by doing a search. My old account name used to be Gary and in C: Docs & Settings the folder Gary still exists, but it is not accessible, access denied. I know that when accounts are created and deleted, folders and files can be moved accounts. Do you think it is possible that if I create another user account called Gary, this folder will be accessible again and the files will be there? They have to be somewhere on the PC as they are taking up more than 100gigs still.

Sorry again if this is not worded so well, appreciate the help.
  • edited April 2007
    I've now managed to fix this. I had to change the permission settings for a folder in safe mode. Thanks to those who were going to help me!