My computer will not POST

Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys! I just got done re-doing the thermal paste on my Athlon XP 1700 running on an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe 2.0 motherboard.

When I FIRST turned it on after putting her back together, she made it half-way through the Windows XP Loading screen, and then froze. I reset the computer, and haven't gotten her to POST since. I've got fans, but that's it. Normally, when I turn it on, a few moments just before the video initializes, the machine beeps through the PC speaker...nothing. Also, there are no diagnostic beeps, and I don't hear anything through the speakers when they're hooked up to the onboard audio. I've unplugged the battery, and set the CMOS reset jumper to the reset position. I'll leave it there overnight, and then try again tommorow. I've also reseated ALL components on the motherboard. (PCI cards, Video Card, RAM, Processor, etc...).

What do you guys think?

Perhaps now is the time for me to upgrade? I'm running an X1950 PRO AGP video card that I recently purchased. SO, if I replace the motherboard, It needs to be AGP. Besides that, I'd be willing to move to a more modern platform. Perhaps the AM2 chipset? However...all I have is 2x 512Meg sticks of PC3200. So the motherboard I get needs to support AGP, DDR memory, and be a step up from my A7N8X-Deluxe if at all possible.

Does anyone have any ideas on my upgrade options?
Help!!!! (Thanks)

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    Check to be sure that the CPU is seated properly and that you didn't somehow get the heatsink on there cockeyed or backwards. (Both are easy to do.)

I'd also check all your cable connections and make sure that your cards and RAM are seated properly. It's very easy to bump something loose and not notice it.

Finally, did you remember to reattach the CPU fan? That's another one which is easy to overlook.

Good luck. :)
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I've reseated everything. It's water-cooled, so no fan to plug in. No leaks either.
    edited April 2007
    I left my cmos reset jumper set in the "2-3" position (that's "on"), with the battery out and power unplugged all night. Set everything back to normal, and still no joy.

I think I've decided on an upgrade to an Abit AV8-3rd Eye, and an Athlon64 X2 3800 processor. That way, I can keep my video card, and RAM, but get a decent upgrade out of this tragedy none the less. What's everyone think?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    One thing you might look at are the capacitors on the motherboard. If they look swollen or are leaking it's a dead cinch that a MB replacement is the best way out.

In either case, any excuse for an upgrade qualifies as a silver lining in the dark cloud, eh? :D
    edited April 2007
    Update:
    I've got an Abit AV8 Motherboard, and an Athlon XP X2 3800+ (2Ghz Stock) Manchester on the way. (For you weirdos watching SM Folders, rest assured, I've been folding with my laptop the whole time my desktop has been down. Once I get my new system up and running, I'll be folding a WHOLE HECKUVA LOT FASTER! hehe)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Remember to run the windSMP folding. The points are rich.

It is hard to believe that it is your mobo. Are you sure that power is OK? Does your mobo require a fan connected to the CPU cooler header in order to boot?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited April 2007
    Why did you have to redo the thermal paste? It seems to me that it would be the processor/heatsink (or waterblock in your case) if it stopped working after that, but if you already tried reseating it then I dunno.

Anyway, enjoy your upgrade! :thumbsup:
    edited April 2007
    hehe...I read your question about the thermal paste, and it took me a minute to understand why you were asking that...then I read what I had written in my first post:

Re-doing the thermal paste wasn't a trouble-shooting step...that's just the last thing I had done before my 'puter died. Zalman waterblocks easily rotate when mounted, and thus can mess up the consistency of paste between the block, and the proc. I had messed around the inside of my computer awhile back, and then noticed that my temps were a little higher. So, on "black saturday" as I like to call it now, I decided to open up my computer, do some "spring cleaning", and re-apply the paste. When I was done, the computer POSTed, Booted, and then froze half-way through Windows XP loading. That's the last thing she ever did.

Edcentric: Yeah...I ran this system for YEARS without a fan attached to the fan-lead for the CPU (water-cooling). I've also run it for just as long with what I knew was dangerously high voltage for an XP 1700 (for awhile, it was above 1.8. I think at one point, I had the gall to bump to 1.85v). At those voltages, it was pretty well know back in the day that the proc would run for a pretty long while, and then *POOF*! (You remember reading about that Gargoyle? ARE YOU READING THIS??? hehe).
    I'll BET it's the proc that died, but there's really no telling, considering all of the things I had done in the short time before it died (Cleaned all the dust out of the case/components, reseated all components, thermal paste).

Fear not, fellas...I'll measure the voltage from the PS with an MM before I power my new stuff up. Wish me luck!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    See how high you can take the voltage and let us know!! :D

:)

Since you don't know exactly what part died, you can always blame faulty hardware and not feel guilty. Then some day in the future when are really self-confident and humble, you can admit liability, because by then you'll be very happy with your upgraded components.