Accecptable O/C Temps? (e6600)

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited May 2007 in Hardware
So after months of scrimping and saving I have my new system built. and its time to try my hand at my first EVER overclock... First question is: whats a generally agreed "accecptable" temp for the CPU to be running @?

also, what kinda speeds can I look to aim for? Im not looking to set any records just wanting to get the best outta the hardware (as listed below)

CPU - E6600
MB - Asus P5n32e-sli
Ram - Corsair XMS2 "Dominator" PC8500
HSF - Zalman CNPS9700
Graphics - MSI 8800gtx
PSU - Enermax Liberty 620W

Thanks in advance for any help
- SN -

-EDIT: spelling :confused: -

Comments

• Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited April 2007
    Hey,

I'm running a E6600 on a P5B-Deluxe at 3.06 Ghz. Idle at 35c, load at 48c max. Using big typhoon.
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited April 2007
    If your gunning for 24/7 usage, I would run 55c maximum full load. You can go into the 60's just to see how far you can push the O/C but I would not have it here too long.

I have seen some people over 70c for short periods to run benchmarks at their rigs extreme limit
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    < 60C full load, and you're fine. You can get 3.0/3.2GHz easily on that combo.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Ensure that the northbridge is cooled well also! A lot of overclocks are deemed unstable because of excessive CPU core heat, when the culprit may actually be northbridge chips close to meltdown.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    60s is fine. Lappy runs anywhere from 62 to 67 C.
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited April 2007
    Thanks everyone, I started with a small O/C yesterday, stepped it up to 2.6 gig and set the ram to run at its advertised speeds (with lower voltages I might add) and its lookin like this is gonna be a fun rig to play with. Cant wait to see how well it'll do in the long run.

P.S - Decided to keep it safe and set 45C be my upper limit.
    edited April 2007
    So you don't get frustrated with the hardware: Remember, maximum sustainable CPU core and northbridge temperatures will be lower when overclocking. That is, if the specified maximum operating temperature is X, under significant overclock the maximum operating temperature will need to be X-5*C or even lower. My D9XX (Presler core) CPUs will run all day at full load probably at 65*C, but can't overclock to their current level (2.8/3.0 @ 4.0GHz) at temperatures over 60. I don't know what the northbridge temperature deltas are, just that overclocking was minimal without an added fan to the NB heatsinks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Safe is 62C or less.

/me shrugs.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I'm running @ 3.1 right now on my E6600 and with F@H it maxes out around 48°c with the thermalright ultra 120.
    edited April 2007
    Good job! Short of water, there is no way I could these toastie Preslers down that low at full load with their overclocks.
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited April 2007
    Well, Im quite chuffed with my self, this morning, I checked my system after 8 hours of stability tests and am happy to say its @ 3.2GHz - 1.25V and rock solid. and at no time did it venture above 40C (during a CPU heat generation program) and idles at 23C. infact Im thinkin I may push it higher just too see what it can do...

Next on the list = RAM... MWA HA HA HA HA (thunder claps in the background)
  • edited May 2007
    Zalman 9700 cools mine down alot :)