Can't install my new UATA 133 harddrive. =( *need help*

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi. I got my new IDE (UATA 133) Maxtor 250 GB harddrive today. But it doesnt seem to work. It doesnt show up when I check "My computer"

- My computer is a 2 year old Dell dimension, and I use Windows XP

I first tried to plug it in as the Slave to my primary HDD, but no luck. I set the jumper on my new HDD to Slave mode but still no luck. I then tried to switch IDE cable position between the two, but when I did that I couldn't get past the DOS screen and it said "Primary disk not found"

After that I tried to put my new HDD as a slave to my DVD player. It's on the second IDE cable. (IDE2?). But the strange thing is, when I did that I got a message during bootup "Secondary drive not found" and I pressed F1 to continue. And now the computer couldn't detect my DVD drive anymore. As if plugging in this new IDE 133 HDD as a slave somehow gets in the way.

I then put the new drive back as a slave to my main harddrive and I'm currently switching around the jumper pins on both of them, trying different combinations. But no luck so far. And I'm starting to think it doesn't matter much because my main harddrive can seemingly function no matter what position the jumper is on it seems. (I havent tried setting the main HDD as slave though.)

What could my problem be? I heard all IDE formats are backwards compatible, so even if my computer doesn't support the new 133 interface it should function as a normal IDE 100 and I shouldnt notce the difference.

I read somewhere about BIOS, but I'm not sure I understand.

"Disk Manager Some old BIOSs have a capacity barrier and does not recognize the high capacity HDD. In that case, the Disk Manager will solve the capacity barrie"

Could something like that be the reason?
Please help ='(

~Edit~

Oh and I read this:
UltraATA 66/100/133 Considerations

If your new drive can support UltraATA 66/100/133 modes and you want to take advantage of these faster transfer rates, you will need the following:
  • A computer that supports UDMA Modes 3 and 4 (5 for UltraATA100, 6 for UltraATA133).
  • A 40-pin, 80-conductor cable (available from your dealer). This cable is provided with current UltraATA hard drive retail kits. It can be identified by its having a blue connector to connect to the motherboard, a grey connector to connect to the slave drive, and a black connector to connect to the master drive.
What are UMDA modes?
And the cable they describe that you need for UATA, that's the same one that I have inside my computer, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. ='(

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Set the hard drive's jumper to Cable Select and try again.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Set your CD-ROM to MASTER, your second CD-ROM to SLAVE (if applicable).

Set your primary HDD to MASTER, and the new one to SLAVE. Then boot. You may need to perform these tasks when Windows loads.

Every device on the IDE bus has to be jumpered uniformly in that they all need to be cable select (Buggy) or they all have to conform to master/slave jumpering.
  • edited April 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Set the hard drive's jumper to Cable Select and try again.
    I tried that. Still didn't show up.
    Thrax wrote:
    Set your CD-ROM to MASTER, your second CD-ROM to SLAVE (if applicable).
    I only have one DVD drive, its a CD/DVD burner. But I removed the new HDD from that cable and placed it back on the primary IDE cable thats hooked up to my main harddrive.
    Set your primary HDD to MASTER, and the new one to SLAVE. Then boot. You may need to perform these tasks when Windows loads.

Every device on the IDE bus has to be jumpered uniformly in that they all need to be cable select (Buggy) or they all have to conform to master/slave jumpering.
    Well the problem is that I don't know how to set my main harddrive as Master. The lable doesn't mention anything about it. And the jumper was already set on the far right position. Not sure what that mode is on that particular harddrive.
    But the harddrive is Western Digital WD 1200. I tried looking on their site but I couldn't find anything.

But... I just noticed something when trying out "those tasks" you mentioned.
    Only my main harddrive shows up, (and one that has no name but a capacity of 47 MB. Not sure what that is but it seems linked to my old/main harddrive) but when I right click it and chose Properties, I clicked on the hardware flap... and to my surprise my new Maxtor harddrive is listed.

This is what it looks like. (Its in Swedish btw)

xs314.xs.to/xs314/07173/Diskssss

(add "http://" at the beginning of that link, and then ".jpg" at the end)

*Seems I can't post links yet for some reason.* =(

What can I do to activate it or something?

And I also noticed now looking on the right main window, the new Maxtor disc appears on the bottom left as Disk 1, but as "Unknown" Then I clicked on it and chose "Initiate" and now it says "Standard" instead (as you can see.) But the black means "not allocated" and it still doesn't show up when I go to "My computer"

Any ideas?
  • edited April 2007
    Actually, I fixed it just now.
    Thanks for all the help guys.

The problem was that the harddrive wasn't allocated to any unit. And I was allowed to name the unit. I chose E://
    Then it showed up when I checked "My computer" but it asked me to format the disc, so thats what Im doing now. ^^;

Thanks again.