Problems with having two harddrives? (Transfering files for no reason)

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Ok so here's my problem. I just got a new harddrive on my computer, so now I have C:\ and E:\.
Since I have little space left on my old harddrive (e:\) I decided to use my new harddrive as the destination for downloading files.
But the odd thing is that when I un rar/zip a file now, instead of just being finished when the un-raring process reaches 100% I get a pop up showing a transfer, moving the file. And for a 700 MB file it takes a few minutes.
It's behaving exactly as if it's moving the file from C:\ to E:\, but that doesn't make sense, since the rar file is on E:\ to begin with.

I thought maybe it was because win rar was installed on C:\, so I had it installed on my new harddrive and used that one to extract a new file, but the same thing happened again. It takes several minutes, and it lags my computer pretty badly.

The transfer window says "From Rar$DR02.078 to CD2"
(CD2 is the folder with the rar file. I have no idea what "Rar$DR02.078"is supposed to be.)

What could be the problem? =(

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    When unzipping/raring, the rar/zip tool will unrar/unzip the file(s) to a temp folder, before moving it to the target folder.
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah I figured that may have been the case. =/
    Is there any way to fix this? Where can I find the temp folder for example? And is it possible to change the settings so that it does this on the other harddrive?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    The temp folder will be somewhere in Documents and Settings, exactly where, I don't know. I don't know how to change that, or if it can be done.

A temporary solution to speed up transfers would be to offload some of the data from C:\. Perhaps you have a few hundred MB of data that you could temporarily store on a DVD? Perhaps you could permanently transfer data from the old drive to the new drive? Or if that's not possible, just replace your original (old drive) with a higher capacity new drive. Hard drives or so cheap these days!
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks guys. It was the temporary folder thing. I changed its destination to the other harddrive and now it works great.
    Thanks again!