Ripped the Backing Tab off of a Sata HD connector...Send it back?

swithdrawnswithdrawn Savannah, GA
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I slid out the harddrive compartment bay from my case to swap out a harddrive. I disconnected the wires, and I ripped the backing tab off of the sata connection for my system disk. You know, there's the gold rods and then there's the backing tab they rest against. So now the gold rods are completely exposed. I managed to insert the backing tab into the actual sata cable connector so it would at least connect, and the disk seems to be running (I'm posting from it now). Here's the kicker: I just got this drive three weeks ago. I'm wondering - do you guys think I should send it back? Anyone have any idea how sturdy these gold rods are? heh. Does the warranty even cover that?

It's a SeaGate 320Gig. I got two of them, and they have worked fine. But man, talk about flimsy components... :(

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Can you bond the tab back into position with glue or epoxy?

I honestly don't know if the failure would constitute an RMA. Give Seagate's RMA department a service call. See what they say. The way you described, you weren't abusing your drive at all. Just explain to Seagate that it was a routine hard drive removal from a case.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I would suggest not doing a thing to the drive as it's well within RMA. Backup the data NOW and then RMA it as per Leos instructions :)