Fan..

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I'm gonna buy a new fan to put in the front of the cabinet, sucking in air.. My computer is quite noisy from before, so the new fan would have to be somewhat quiet. Any tips? Also, I'm not sure about power. What type of connection does it use? Do I connect it to the motherboard or the cables from the PSU? Sorry if I sound real N00b right now, but I haven't dealt with new fans before.

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    There are several fans that are quiet enough to not make your noise situation worse, but they are low cfm (flow) and that is good for a front fan: SilenX, Vantec Stealth, Panaflo and Pabst. Look for a fan with a noise rating no higher than ~20 dba. I prefer to use 80 mm fans in the front typically because the cases I use don't accommodate 120's. The 80 mm Stealth with 27 cfm @ 21 dba or the Silenx iXtrema rated at 28 cfm @ 14 dba are what I typically use. However, the first thing to consider is what size fan your case front can accomodate: 80, 90, or 120mm. 2nd, does your front bezel have sufficient venting to even allow benefit from a front fan. It may have a fan mount location, but does it access outside air to any degree or just through a small hole. If it is small, you won't get much benefit if any. Low flow 80 mm fans can typically be connected to a 3 pin motherboard chassis fan connector. However, you can also jump in a 4-pin molex pass through with a 3-pin tail which is what I would use for a 90 or 120 mm fan. Many fans come with this in their packaging, but you will need to check.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    There are quite a few holes for air in the lower front of the cabinet, and there are holes for screws. I need an 80 mm fan. There are no more contacts for fans on the motherboard, from what I can see. Therefore, I must connect the new fan to the PSU cables.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    edited April 2007
    Seems like there aren't any stores in Norway with that fan. If i order from abroad, it will cost me up to $33 more:eek:, and I wouldn't want that. Damn, that fan cost 42 NOK:eek: . Thats CHEAP! Stupid, expensive Norway:mad2: .

How about this:

http://www.netshop.no/aspx/produkt/prdinfovnet.aspx?plid=46151
    It's $26.

http://www.mpx.no/aspx/produkt/prdinfovnet.aspx?plid=67541
    it's $19.
    edited April 2007
    Sorry, I forgot about your location. Those both look good and should do what you need.
    edited April 2007
    Thanks. I'll order tomorrow. Now I know a little bit more about fans, and that is a good thing.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    17db is practically inaudible. It is considering it is inside of a computer case.

I think it was a 25-30db or so total I had in a case I put in the corner of the living room. It was Water Cooled so the only fans was the PSU fan, the 120mm in the rear of the case and the 120mm for the Radiator. My roommate and I were moving out...he didnt even know it had been running for months.

Anthing like the furnace/AC, fridge, dishwasher, washer, dryer will drown out 25db. The smaller the higher pitch.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Jokke, just look for vendors in your part of Europe. Look for the best compromise of air volume and low noise that you can find.