Overclocking P4

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hello, should i turn off Hyper thread when I'm stress testing the cpu because as far as I know it only utilizes 50 percent of the cpu. The stress test I'm using is prime95 running small ftt test.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Use Orthos.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    No need to turn off hyperthreading.
  • edited May 2007
    Hey, the cpu seem to be having trouble going over 3.6 i tried to raise the vcore up 1.625 but it wouldn't boot anymore after that. Any suggestions on how I could go further with it, I'm hoping to reach 3.8ghz.

Northwood 3.0 30caps
    P4P800-E Dlx
    2GB OCZ Gold XTC PC3200
  • edited May 2007
    Maybe the ram is holding you back. Try lowering the ram speeds.With my 2.8 prescott (after a 3ghz one) i could hit 4-4.2ghz with the p4c800 dlx.
  • edited May 2007
    airoh69 wrote:
    Maybe the ram is holding you back. Try lowering the ram speeds.With my 2.8 prescott (after a 3ghz one) i could hit 4-4.2ghz with the p4c800 dlx.

Hey, did you happen to turn on the memory accelerator and the turbo mode because I did. Could that be holding me back?
  • edited May 2007
    Vintage86 wrote:
    Hey, did you happen to turn on the memory accelerator and the turbo mode because I did. Could that be holding me back?

the memory accelarator wasn`t giving me any problems but the turbo mode was. Even when the pc was not oced, turbo mode was giving me a terrible headache.Try turning it off. Also above 250fsb you may notice file corruptions when having the disks on the normal channel.